Looking to get into forestry.

Donnie

Hey, I'm currently working as an engineer and have been for the past five years in Scotland,  but over the past year I've been thinking of changing careers. I've been saving and still am for my chainsaw tickets. I'm looking to become a woodcutter/tree feller but just looking for some tips on ways to go about becoming one and what gear/saw I should buy to get me started, tips for being self employed etc even van/tool set ups. I aim to have about 2-3K GBP to spend on saw, PPE and tickets in the next 6 months. 

Thanks a lot.

• Like 1

JDon if my answer seems a bit cryptic I’ve just tagged a senior member in here who will have way more to offer than I can.

Hopefully he and others will chip in soon.

Good luck with it, it’s nice to see your budget reflects the fact that you don’t expect to get into the game with a £30 lid and an ebay saw.

Welcome to Arbtalk.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

Hi i dont know how far north of the border you are ? but if you where in the bottom half of Scottland i could put you in touch with 1 or 2 people in the area that you could make enquires with regarding work,

Saws, PPE, foot wear and other equipment is one of them situations that you get what you pay for and my take on that is buy the best you can at the time as it will pay in the long run for you, saws to start with i would be looking for a saw around the 45-50cc and my take on that is do a bit of reserch in to your local dealers, talk to other lads and get there opinions on what saw is best suited for your needs, for me every thing is Stihl and purchased from a local dealer, 3 reasons for that 1) support for my local dealer. 2) if i have a problem with a saw it generlly gets sorted out with in 24hrs, 3) i chose Stihl due to the spare parts back up in the UK unlike some other brands, i have always found the Stihl 260 and later the 261 to be ok, just sold a 260 that has stood idle for 2 + yrs and tipped the old fuel out of it and refueled it fired up 5th pull,, Boots i have always found Meindl wood walkers about the best but not sure if they are still available ? Pants dont bother with the cheap ones as they are a worth buying, unconfortable to wear and even worse when they get wet, I am sure some others will add to this list with advise on both work and equipment,,, 

• Like 7

Once you get your basic felling tickets,  you will need another 18 months- 2 years to get up to speed. Don't be pushed into situations where you don't feel comfortable, and don't be afraid to ask questions, lots of questions. Positive engagement is a 2 way thing, you will learn,  and your mentors/ employers will get the best out you.

You will never become rich, but it is one of the most rewarding jobs, working in the most beautiful parts of the British isles.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, slack ma girdle said:

Once you get your basic felling tickets,  you will need another 18 months- 2 years to get up to speed. Don't be pushed into situations where you don't feel comfortable, and don't be afraid to ask questions, lots of questions. Positive engagement is a 2 way thing, you will learn,  and your mentors/ employers will get the best out you.

You will never become rich, but it is one of the most rewarding jobs, working in the most beautiful parts of the British isles.

18 months? That's not too bad at all. 

I personally plan on getting the small tree ticket, first aid forestry certificate, and a reasonable saw and hopefully start work from there. 

I've heard guys start at 100 a day/rate and after they have their tickets it's up to 170, more for working away. Is that about right?

• Like 1