BridgeStreetAllotment

Cherry tree pruning

Question

Hi All,

Just moved into a new house recently and there is a large cherry (pretty sure it's a cherry) in the back garden inside the borders. It has started disturbing the neighbours lawn with its roots, so we want to prune it. Ideally we want to retain some privacy but keep it to a manageable level, and keep the neighbours happy. I read very conflicting opinions on when to prune cherry. Ideally I would want to prune it soon, when I can see the shape and it satisfies the neighbours sooner rather than later. There was one branch that had started to snap and I had to take that out very recently. Attached is a picture of the tree, sorry not the best atm, it's always dark when I'm home to take pictures! The blue lines are where we would want to roughly shape it. The tree extends maybe another 2ft above the image.InkedIMG_20210228_163450_LI.thumb.jpg.ccb3346b481a96c8c38229b6efb5993d.jpgCould anyone give any advice on if I can prune this winter? Maybe seal the wounds with the paint stuff you can buy to help prevent silverleaf? Cheers.

Edited by BridgeStreetAllotment

Yes, I personally would recommend its removal. Poison the stump though with Glyphosate in the form of ecoplugs because it will probably sprout with new growth. Inform the neighbours though because they will be left with a few scars in their lawn where the roots die off🤔. Consider a dwarf evergreen with a tight root ball as a replacement, but also move it away from the fence a little.

23 minutes ago, Stubby said:

The thing is back gardens ,  (especially small back gardens ) are not a woodland so planting up has to be a compromise . Life is a compromise after all !  I don't particularly like seeing trees taken out in a small garden but you godda rub along with people . maybe some shrubs would be a good compromise ?

That’s the problem with developers - they will do anything to appease planning authorities by scattering shrubs and trees around on the planning application drawings with very little thought(if any) for the long term. And as for planning authorities🤔 very often short sited and short on common sense, it’s just a box ticking exercise when considering planning applications and if there’s a tree planting schedule and a fancy landscaping plan that’s another box ticked🙄. Went past  a small development today where they have planted root balled mixed hardwoods underneath a 11 kva power line🙄, won’t be their problem in a few months when all the plots are sold and they’ve wound up their company and started again by another name. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Leave it till after it has blossoms in the spring. Worst time of the year to do it now as you rightly suggest about silverleaf

• Like 2

Suggested pruning is fine, but damage to your neighbours lawn won’t disappear.

Typical boundary planting (not your fault) - ‘Hi neighbour, I don’t necessarily know you, but here is half a trees canopy, and half the roots’.

Keeps us all in work, I suppose.

• Like 1

You might get away with winter pruning if it is very cold and dry, but mild and wet are prime silver leaf conditions.  

Next door to my Mums yesterday. 
Tried to bump start their 4x4 in reverse which resulted in knocking the hedge down and smashing off half of the cherry tree in the yard over the road. Truck perched on top of stone wall. 
I did tell them it was completely the wrong time of year to prune cherry. 

FEB1451A-BE2D-4C0C-B1D3-58BC2A0C4D54.jpeg

• Haha 6

6 hours ago, Peasgood said:

Next door to my Mums yesterday. 
Tried to bump start their 4x4 in reverse which resulted in knocking the hedge down and smashing off half of the cherry tree in the yard over the road. Truck perched on top of stone wall. 
I did tell them it was completely the wrong time of year to prune cherry. 

FEB1451A-BE2D-4C0C-B1D3-58BC2A0C4D54.jpeg

Priceless 😄

In my experience, the neighbours won't be happy until the tree is gone and their lawn is back to a lovely flat green state. It is a shame but from what I have seen, people seem to want trees gone which, in most cases, is a shame but there you go!!