Smell from next doors wood burner

54 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

No, just clarifying. :) 

If it’s bad pointing then you’re saying the smokes exiting the lady’s liner then re-entering the ops chimney via bad pointing and some how traveling all the way down the  ops chimney?

Possibly matey . Just trying to help .

No extractor fan in the room. I get the smell almost immediately she has lit her stove so there’s no time to heat up my liner bearing in mind there is a brick wall between her liner and mine. As I said the chimney is 200 years old and the when we both had open fires smoke could pass from house to house via the faulty flue. 

2 minutes ago, Sashwindow said:

No extractor fan in the room. I get the smell almost immediately she has lit her stove so there’s no time to heat up my liner bearing in mind there is a brick wall between her liner and mine. As I said the chimney is 200 years old and the when we both had open fires smoke could pass from house to house via the faulty flue. 

There doesn't need to be an extractor fan (good call though) if your house is warm enough to create a circulation  from the room your stove is in and up stairs and out somewhere the hot air leaving has to be replaced and cold denser air pushing down your flue could do that.

19 minutes ago, Sashwindow said:

Thanks for reply. Surely it’s not possible for smell to exit the wood burner with door closed and damper also shut off. And I only get this smell when neighbour has lit her fire. 

No not if the damper and air controls seal well. It's all a bit speculative  with the details and description here, as mentioned you should have a CO monitor in the room in any case.

Hold a burning taper near the stove when it is cold and see if a draught flickers it.

Just looking at my stove, where the chimney liner enters the chimney proper they installed a concrete-ish floor to the chimney,sealing it off apart from the liner, just to check if yours has similar or not, otherwise is this somethng you could put in which should stop any leaks through her brickwork nto your chimney getting into your room. Obvousy doesn't solve where the smoke is getting through

If Andy's thought about heating what is already there is valid then could the heat from the liner not be heating what is already in the chimney.  I.e. what was there before the liner was installed  If that happened you might get some smell even if there was no leak from either liner but when your stove was on anything produced would go up but when your is cold and next doors is heating maybe you can smell it?

• Like 1