Smell from next doors wood burner

Installed my wood burner 3 years ago, chimney 200 years old leaking smoke with open fire . Installed with liner by approved installer and signed off. Neighbours open fire still being used, because my chimney sealed, smoke from her open fire enters my flue and thus my room. She has a wood burner fitted this year by the same guy who did mine. Unfortunately on three occasions very recently have smelt fumes entering my room from the fire place opening my wood burner is in, it seems to be worst when she first lights it. Contacted installer who says very unlikely that smoke could be being blown from her chimney travelling down from the top of my chimney into my room, ( I have not used my wood burner this year). He suggests that I might be smelling soot in my chimney being heated up from her wood burner.  I have never smelt this before when my wood burner is lit. Would not be time to heat up the soot as I smell the fumes very soon after she has lit her wood burner. Installer coming out in two weeks to do smoke test on her stove. Any thoughts as to what might be causing me to smell her wood burner. Thanks. 

Hi there, I have a external flue so it may not be your issue but I find that if we have a cold / damp evening the cold air is dense and pushes the Smokey smell back in the room, usually notice it of a morning when I come downstairs. Traditional chimneys are usually ok but don’t know your environment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Sashwindow said:

Trigger-Andy thanks for your reply, but as I said I haven’t lit my fire this season, had it swept two weeks ago. She only had her stove installed 3 weeks ago. So it is her smoke but why it is leaking is the mystery. 

You say its a shared stack ? but individual  separate flue liners ?

6 hours ago, Sashwindow said:

Installed my wood burner 3 years ago, chimney 200 years old leaking smoke with open fire . Installed with liner by approved installer and signed off. Neighbours open fire still being used, because my chimney sealed, smoke from her open fire enters my flue and thus my room. She has a wood burner fitted this year by the same guy who did mine. Unfortunately on three occasions very recently have smelt fumes entering my room from the fire place opening my wood burner is in, it seems to be worst when she first lights it. Contacted installer who says very unlikely that smoke could be being blown from her chimney travelling down from the top of my chimney into my room, ( I have not used my wood burner this year). He suggests that I might be smelling soot in my chimney being heated up from her wood burner.  I have never smelt this before when my wood burner is lit. Would not be time to heat up the soot as I smell the fumes very soon after she has lit her wood burner. Installer coming out in two weeks to do smoke test on her stove. Any thoughts as to what might be causing me to smell her wood burner. Thanks. 

I would put a carbon monoxide detector in the room which is affected most.  Shared chimneys can be deadly if they leak.  If you are getting carbon monoxide from next door that would be very easy to sort out with the help of environmental health.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2