Stumpgrinder rate of return

Ty Korrigan

On 22/12/2021 at 17:09, aspenarb said:

On domestics our small grinder gets thrown in the back of the transit whether there are chips/chogs in there or not, chipper is up the back of the transit and that's it. If our four wheeled rayco or a hired in tracked mid sized grinder are taken to a job its another truck/trailer involved, true costs of that grinder/grinding start to rack up. 

The big rayco up the chuff of the mog eats nothing other than a bit of maintenance and that's still doing battle 30 years on.

image.jpg1_zpsxdbttuqb.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

What hp is in that big rayco bob? I have a slightly smaller grinder with v4 Wisconsin on it, think its 35hp.

Edited by jmac

21 hours ago, jmac said:

What hp is in that big rayco bob? I have a slightly smaller grinder with v4 Wisconsin on it, think its 35hp.

Its not big on HP but at a very useable and calm 1800rpm knocks out about the same torque as four of those 25/30hp Kholers do at 3000rpm, add in the huge weight of all the pulleys,flywheel,engine mass and it takes some stopping.

Bob

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, donnk said:

wouldnt a micro digger be a much better option even if you had to run the head off a beaver pack ?

grinder is 1 trick pony and a micro could get all the same places plus its a digger ?

A beaver pack won’t run any reasonable size stump grinder. Your biggest beaver pack is a 13hp petrol engine. The basic pedestrian machines are all 13hp, with no hydraulic losses. 

I’m going down the route you suggest, but with an auxiliary petrol engine on the head- it’s the only feasible way. 30hp loncin should do nicely!

• Like 1

A beaver pack won’t run any reasonable size stump grinder. Your biggest beaver pack is a 13hp petrol engine. The basic pedestrian machines are all 13hp, with no hydraulic losses. 

I’m going down the route you suggest, but with an auxiliary petrol engine on the head- it’s the only feasible way. 30hp loncin should do nicely!
I'm sure I've seen a picture of such a machine on here from a while ago? Think may have been an early Greenmech machine but might be making that up.

58 minutes ago, doobin said:

they do a diesel one as well, more flow.

but, how about forget another engine and run it off PTO from the pickup, just long hoses ?

Edited by donnk

2 hours ago, donnk said:

they do a diesel one as well, more flow.

but, how about forget another engine and run it off PTO from the pickup, just long hoses ?

Way more hassle than an engine directly mounted. 13hp petrol will give you 30l/min. You’d need a much bigger diesel engine to give you the same, and they are a lot more money too. 30hp petrol Loncin is around 1.2k plus vat. 

17 hours ago, doobin said:

Way more hassle than an engine directly mounted. 13hp petrol will give you 30l/min. You’d need a much bigger diesel engine to give you the same, and they are a lot more money too. 30hp petrol Loncin is around 1.2k plus vat. 

pickup PTO + long hose!

4 hours ago, donnk said:

pickup PTO + long hose!

How much flow rate do you think a pickup PTO actually puts out?? Let alone running the hoses around. You'd better budget for a massive oil cooler on the pickup somewhere also.

Direct drive is the most efficient drive posible, and a petrol 30hp engine is so much cheaper than all the above.

• Like 1