Stumpgrinder rate of return

Ty Korrigan

26 minutes ago, swinny said:

I cant help be a tinkerer...... and if something wouldnt get masses of use one of them big donkeys thats been gone through be a good cheap alternative to me.

Cant help but think new gear is top dollar at times only backed up with poor service (not everyone) big depreciation, and usually with something built in made to brake on purpose lol 

I hate fixing and fettling, no problem with routine maintenance.

S’funny, because I was going to start a thread about that situation, not about how bad that chipper was, but how a purchase of a bad machine and a bad experience can really affect ones mindset.

I was a hostage to that chipper, a kind of Stockholm Syndrome, I just kept throwing money and parts at it, thinking one day it would suddenly come good and give me uninterrupted reliability.

It became normal to be trying to tighten and replace components every weekend.

Even after I’d paid it off I contacted a few suppliers and they wouldn’t take it as a trade in because of their reputation, so on it went.

Partly I guess because I hate the hassle of bank loans and selling stuff to strangers.

Eventually I paid a few hundred to get the safety upgrades needed to sell it legally and moved it on.

But I should have been more proactive and less fatalistic about the bloody thing and moved it on years before.

I think I’m not the only one who is like this.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

S’funny, because I was going to start a thread about that situation, not about how bad that chipper was, but how a purchase of a bad machine and a bad experience can really affect ones mindset.

I was a hostage to that chipper, a kind of Stockholm Syndrome, I just kept throwing money and parts at it, thinking one day it would suddenly come good and give me uninterrupted reliability.

It became normal to be trying to tighten and replace components every weekend.

Even after I’d paid it off I contacted a few suppliers and they wouldn’t take it as a trade in because of their reputation, so on it went.

Partly I guess because I hate the hassle of bank loans and selling stuff to strangers.

Eventually I paid a few hundred to get the safety upgrades needed to sell it legally and moved it on.

But I should have been more proactive and less fatalistic about the bloody thing and moved it on years before.

I think I’m not the only one who is like this.

I think that would be a good thread in all fairness if everyone behaved etc. Names or manufacturers needn't come into it. Just the situation at the time both mentally and the machine as it was (whatever it may be)

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Ty Korrigan said:

137hrs

That sounds like a very good return for such a machine

I’ve done 200hrs in nearly 3 years with a bandit ZT. 5 months a year it doesn’t go out (frozen ground) No idea what it’s earnt but tbh normally aim for 1k a day including travel etc. 

At a guess of 4 machine hours per day, that’d be 50k so similar to yours but a lot less effort and I’m valuing my body more and more.

purchased new for 15k

yearly costs of 1500 for teeth and belts, 400 insurance and a guess of 4liters per hour

2 minutes ago, josharb87 said:

That sounds like a very good return for such a machine

I’ve done 200hrs in nearly 3 years with a bandit ZT. 5 months a year it doesn’t go out (frozen ground) No idea what it’s earnt but tbh normally aim for 1k a day including travel etc. 

At a guess of 4 machine hours per day, that’d be 50k so similar to yours but a lot less effort and I’m valuing my body more and more.

purchased new for 15k

yearly costs of 1500 for teeth and belts, 400 insurance and a guess of 4liters per hour

Did you buy it in the UK at that price?

They are rather more in the Euro Zone.

I would be curious to learn just what FSI prices are like in Denmark.

I can only manage about 5 hour days including prep and clearup using a ped grinder.

Much more is just too punishing.

Out of curiousity, I have just emailed Jo-Beau for a price for a 37-110.

Sadly it comes with a Vanguard Efi engine which has zero aftersales backup in France.

All in all I'd rather hand the larger stumps to a trusted collaborateur than kill myself proving that a 13hp B20 can conquer all time and time again.

Stuart

3 minutes ago, josharb87 said:

Yes brought in the UK, viva la European Union! 
I still buy consumables from Global Recycling, there’s now customs to pay but even then it’s still far cheaper 

Do you have an idea of the tariff in % on the imports?

I brought my latest chipper over with zero tariff to pay as it is UK manufactured.

I have a suspicion that a Danish FSI dealer probably won't sell me a machine so it would be better to go via a UK dealer and suffer paying a tariff.

If you think me mad, the B20 price in France was €3k more than the UK pre-Brexit.

Imagine, a 13hp push grinder for the price of a Dacia saloon...

Stuart

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ty Korrigan said:

Do you have an idea of the tariff in % on the imports?

I brought my latest chipper over with zero tariff to pay as it is UK manufactured.

I have a suspicion that a Danish FSI dealer probably won't sell me a machine so it would be better to go via a UK dealer and suffer paying a tariff.

If you think me mad, the B20 price in France was €3k more than the UK pre-Brexit.

Imagine, a 13hp push grinder for the price of a Dacia saloon...

Stuart

Tarrif rates depend on specifically what it is, spare parts, service items, consumables we’re all different %. 
I think the last order was about 1100, and about 5% import duty on top.

however I think @Big J has said that a harvester was very low duty, but a forwarder astronomical. So it really depends on the specific product.

19 minutes ago, josharb87 said:

Tarrif rates depend on specifically what it is, spare parts, service items, consumables we’re all different %. 
I think the last order was about 1100, and about 5% import duty on top.

however I think @Big J has said that a harvester was very low duty, but a forwarder astronomical. So it really depends on the specific product.

You are correct. I think it was 1.75% on harvesters and 22% on forwarders.