Unseasoned / Green Doug Fir

lux

I’m about to clad my barn.

I have a good source of Doug Fir that is cut and ready to mill.

It can be milled next to the barn and be hung as it’s milled.

My question is how stable is it ?

Certain timber I would never use for green cladding as you know it will move a lot

I will be cladding vertical boards 150 to 200 mm wide.

I would like the barn to contrast the house and going on the price rises on what the house cladding cost it seems a feasible idea. (Albeit a more expensive timber on the house )

I’m pretty sure some of you here have made barns etc and clad them with your own timbers.

How have they faired ?

Any of you use Doug ?

Thanks in advance

It's only Doug fir that I've milled and the vast majority of it is green and  goes for cladding
Ive had plenty of orders for 22x150  cladding and it's very stable.  If you want to be very fussy use only the heartwood for cladding and it will last a bit longer than stuff milled with sapwood on it.
Pic showing a shed and outhouse done with hit and miss vertical cladding in Douglas 

191616669_522323052141507_2471663119844933032_n.thumb.jpg.1f1cfd8b709603b9d37a87becbbc1a42.jpg

• Like 7

9 hours ago, lux said:

I’m about to clad my barn.

I have a good source of Doug Fir that is cut and ready to mill.

It can be milled next to the barn and be hung as it’s milled.

My question is how stable is it ?

Certain timber I would never use for green cladding as you know it will move a lot

I will be cladding vertical boards 150 to 200 mm wide.

I would like the barn to contrast the house and going on the price rises on what the house cladding cost it seems a feasible idea. (Albeit a more expensive timber on the house )

I’m pretty sure some of you here have made barns etc and clad them with your own timbers.

How have they faired ?

Any of you use Doug ?

Thanks in advance

Doug Fir and Larch both similar for cladding, it will shrink a bit as it dries but allow for this in the design.  Either use hit and miss cladding as suggested above, or but them up tight and expect a gap to appear as the boards dry.

• Like 2

Douglas fir is very good we clad an outbuilding about 20 years ago and no decay at all yet, at one point it was given a lick of clear Cuprinol but that was probably not necessary, everything is off the ground with the upright posts of the building set in the ground secondhand creosoted posts. 

198AD5DF-8AB6-47CC-A56D-30EAAFAE9816.jpeg

Nice job that looks stout . ( How is S.Sudan at the mo'  ?  ) K

Khriss, South Sudan is ok. All heads looking north to see what unfolds there.
Abject poverty and the usual African issues, worst flooding in living memory. 2/3 of pop reliant on foreign aid….But apart from that all fine and dandy![emoji53]
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...