BE licence changes delayed

Justme

20 hours ago, Justme said:

Yes but crap if your stuck in the loop needing to tow but cant.

That's the corner I'm in. It's an utter balls up. I had my test booked for the week before they stopped it as well, but it was cancelled as all the assessors walked out. Now booked a load of stuff in based on the change coming into play on the 15th. Now what...? 

Total incompetence coming out of Westminster as usual... 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Justme said:

Dont forget you still need to have them suitably trained.

Suitably trained would to me be watching me backing places and being the banks man.... then practicing at the yard and then  practising on site... that's more than enough breast feeding for most

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, swinny said:

Suitably trained would to me be watching me backing places and being the banks man.... then practicing at the yard and then  practising on site... that's more than enough breast feeding for most

But someone's got to be able to make money out of you.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, swinny said:

Towing is not just about going backwards.

What about hitching, loading & securing followed by the actual main course of driving?

If they had an accident you would be held accountable.

But its your business so your call to make.

37 minutes ago, Justme said:

Towing is not just about going backwards.

What about hitching, loading & securing followed by the actual main course of driving?

If they had an accident you would be held accountable.

But its your business so your call to make.

Of course it isn't.... 

But the end of the day I don't want to fall our etc but please don't think everyone is nieve or an idiot without common sense  .. 

I drove for years with a trailer and no training, self taught.... how do most people get the experience? Most people get the ticket just to pass and know how to do that function already. Box ticking basically.... 

How many times do you think someone would go back to the yard unhitch trailer of a night etc or hook up in a morning.... some folks like me run wide trailers so always making sure drivers go wide to get round without clipping kerbs.... tyres are 65 quid a pop you know.... 

All the learning is subconscious  and Done on the job day in day out. Securing the load on trailer will be shown and load positioning... once shown its easy to do. Visual checks of tyres or look that ones a bit flat we will pump that up when we get back. 

Driving down the road, how does it feel and follow? Is it slapping you up the arse cos dampers ****************ed or brakes not adjusted?

Training can be in house and signed piece of paper stating that. 

Also to employ some one you judge their character and how they are before electing anyone loose in the hot seat.... and that's long before they have a trailer on the back.

My trailer test taught me nowt

Not going to go on and on but i could....  I get your.pissed with the situation as wouldni but i think you must take us lot for silly sods at times. I'd say think before you speak and judge thanks.... not everyone's a novice straight off the nipple

Edited by swinny
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, swinny said:

Of course it isn't.... 

But the end of the day I don't want to fall our etc but please don't think everyone is nieve or an idiot without common sense  .. 

I drove for years with a trailer and no training, self taught.... how do most people get the experience? Most people get the ticket just to pass and know how to do that function already. Box ticking basically.... 

How many times do you think someone would go back to the yard unhitch trailer of a night etc or hook up in a morning.... some folks like me run wide trailers so always making sure drivers go wide to get round without clipping kerbs.... tyres are 65 quid a pop you know.... 

All the learning is subconscious  and Done on the job day in day out. Securing the load on trailer will be shown and once shown its easy to do. Visual checks of tyres or look that ones a bit flat we will pump that up when we get back. 

Driving down the road, how does it feel and follow? Is it slapping you up the arse cos dampers ****************ed or brakes not adjusted?

Training can be in house and signed piece of paper stating that. 

Also to employ some one you judge their character and how they are before electing anyone loose in the hot seat.... and that's long before they have a trailer on the back.

My trailer test taught me nowt

Not going to go on and on but i could....  I get your.pissed with the situation as wouldni but i think you must take us lot for silly sods at times. I'd say think before you speak and judge thanks.... not everyone's a novice straight off the nipple

As I have said many times.

People in this forum are not typical of your average driver / tow'er.

Lots are just of the nipple.

Lots cant reverse a car never mind a trailer.

Lots cant deal with roundabouts.

Lots think you can tow at the same speed as you drive in a car & stop in the same distance.

Lots pull out at junctions into the same gaps they do in a car (number one cause of fails, oddly DVSA call it observation at junctions).

Some are scared of driving / towing but need too do it.

I could go on but we would both get bored.

I will just say it yet again just to be clear.

My BEST clients have been ARB workers.

They have common sense.

PS it seems that there will soon be an approved trailer course & that insurance might be looking for it. 

As might H&S etc.

Time will tell.

The Gov seem to think most people will still take training.

I think they are wrong as this thread (and FB posts etc) shows.

I doubt there will be a 5-10% take up compared to when it was mandated.

Just like chainsaws, you could train the staff yourself but is it worth it when there is (will be) an approved certified course?

Currently I am not planning on taking up doing the gov scheme.

I think the cost to me will be to great for minimal take up compared to previously & by the time its released I will either be broke or be making money elsewhere.

PPS if your trailer training & test taught you nowt then you went to the wrong trainer / did a short course with no time to cover good driving. Just enough time to not fail the test.