Jump to content

newly vat registered how to approach customers


mitchel
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello,

 

I have recently gone vat registered and have 8 weeks worth of work already booked in before I went vat registered. Finding it hard to get customers to pay the vat, i'm not sure wether I can absorb the 20% on all the next 8 weeks worth of work. any help would be much appreciated how others handled this situation?

 

Thanks

Mitch

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Did you not know you were going to register beforehand ?
Pretty much the only thing you can do imo is suck it up on the private jobs, it's not really for the customer to pay 20% extra, or cancel them which won't look good.
Any business customers won't care if you add it.
You need to bare in mind that putting 20% on is not what you should really be doing, you will be reclaiming vat back on things so you need to deduct an appropriate proportion from the 20% you are trying to charge your customers.

Edited by scraggs
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is a no brainer to me. You can't expect a customer to suddenly agree to paying 20 per cent more than the original quote. All they would see is that they are being asked to pay 20 per cent more, doesn't matter if it is going to HMRC or the monster raving loony party, they are still paying it. I had the same situation 8 years ago, but had anticipated that VAT registration was looming, so I made it clear with quotes around that time that VAT might be added, and take it or leave it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, scraggs said:

Did you not know you were going to register beforehand ?
Pretty much the only thing you can do imo is suck it up on the private jobs, it's not really for the customer to pay 20% extra, or cancel them which won't look good.
Any business customers won't care if you add it.
You need to bare in mind that putting 20% on is not what you should really be doing, you will be reclaiming vat back on things so you need to deduct an appropriate proportion from the 20% you are trying to charge your customers.

To be honest it crept up on me and I miss interpreted the 12 month rule I thought it was April to April not a rolling 12 months.

 

 

ill have a look at what I can claim vat back on the month and see if that will work

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, mitchel said:

To be honest it crept up on me and I miss interpreted the 12 month rule I thought it was April to April not a rolling 12 months.

 

 

ill have a look at what I can claim vat back on the month and see if that will work

Get your accountant to check, but you used to be able to claim vat back on major purchases for 3 years prior to registering date.

Edited by scraggs
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The reclaim on all previous big purchases should out way the loss you’ll make on the 8 weeks of work.

Plus from now on all purchases you make will be 20% less and it’s surprising how much it all adds up when it comes to the end of the quarter. You’ll be fine just a new learning curve!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have you talked to your own accountant or (even as I hate to say it) HMRC?

 

If you quoted prior to VAT reg, is there any flex to allow those contractual obligations to stand? I mean from HMRC perspective?

 

I know it’s a long shot but there might be a reg somewhere which covers this. 
 

You won’t be the first, but it is a bit of an own goal. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 09/11/2021 at 21:26, mitchel said:

Hello,

 

I have recently gone vat registered and have 8 weeks worth of work already booked in before I went vat registered. Finding it hard to get customers to pay the vat, i'm not sure wether I can absorb the 20% on all the next 8 weeks worth of work. any help would be much appreciated how others handled this situation?

 

Thanks

Mitch

You will have to absorb 16.66%, not 20% as you are knocking the vat off the total. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


  •  

  • Featured Adverts

  • Tip site reviews

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.