Etiquette / normal practice for avoiding and dealing with damage to other trees?

MisterBoy

Question

We have some work on large trees scheduled and it's a fairly tight working environment in our garden, specifically there are quite a few young fruit trees and hedging that will just look like sticks in winter and it's understandable they could be missed and even just trodden on in some cases.

I'm not out to try and be a pain if they accidentally trampling a tiny £2 bareroot tree but I've sunk quite a lot of time and sweat and cash into planting and one dropped branch could take out a lot of work. It's a reputable, established company so I just wondered is there a standard way to sort this before work begins, rather than after the fact? Marking trees, etc? What happens if, say, a branch that is being dropped does happen to take out a fruit tree or whatever?

Thanks for your advice.

35 minutes ago, rapalaman said:

Was this all pointed out at the quoting stage? A lot of time (=cost) difference between being able to drop branches onto clear ground and having to lower everything down by rigging to avoid crushing saplings

I think so and they know it's tight since there's fences and established trees too, but the quote doesn't specifically mention every tree. In practical terms, how would you make sure you don't harm a new tree given in winter they are basically a single whip and almost invisible at times? I've accidentally flattened my own plants once or twice :)

I wondered if I, or they, would tie ribbons or something to highlight?

Edited by MisterBoy

Build a bit of impromptu protection over stuff you really don’t want damaged. Like prop a pair of pallets against each other over a little tree. Or better yet offer the men some stuff to do it themselves. They’ll know what will get in the way and what will be worth having for protection. Sometimes it’s worth digging up a bush that’s in the way, doing the tree and then replanting it. Offer them a spade if you’re happy with that. You’re obviously not going to dig up a mature tree though. Mark them with coloured tape or put a wheelie bin next to it or something. Hard to see stuff can be overlooked/forgotten in the heat of battle.
Talk to the man in charge before they start about what does and doesn’t matter getting dented. It’s often better to twat stuff down hard where it doesn’t matter, finish the tree earlier and spend more time on a nice clear up. If they bend over backwards all day avoiding damaging something that’s actually unimportant and they don’t finish until later, they’ll have less time to clear up nicely.

Importantly, if you’ve planted a load of stuff in their way since the job was looked at and quoted, expect the price to change.

While broadly on the topic, don’t interrupt them with tea and coffee every five minutes. Tell them to ask for it when it suits them. Generally just let them get on with it.

Good on you for asking how to be a good client btw. Makes all the difference.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AHPP said:

Hard to see stuff can be overlooked/forgotten in the heat of battle.

This... I don't expect a bunch of guys with chainsaws to be tip-toeing around my flowerbeds :) It's more making sure that I've covered myself - if I don't point things out that's my fault - and what to do if there is any damage that I care to complain about. Obviously it happens sometimes and I'm realistic on that, and the odd little broken branch or squishing something that I can replace for a tenner is just how things go.

Talk, talk, talk!

Have this conversation with the folks you’ve arranged to do the job. 

It’s entirely possible to absolutely avoid any and all obstacles if they are important. But that requires a level of care and attention which necessarily incurs a time penalty. 

Time = money. 

Removing trees requires a certain amount of space and may involve big lumps and bushy pieces being moved around.  Small whips, young trees, plants and flowers can get damaged unless they are specifically highlighted as being ‘special’ and to be avoided. 

General care and diligence should, of course, be expected but it should also be reasonably anticipated that some ‘sign’ of heavy works having taken place will result. 

A good contractor ought to sound out all site specific constraints at the pricing stage and by talking to the owner. 

For example - a nice lawn may require ground protection before tracking a chipper across it. This must all be part of an open and honest conversation at the pricing stage. 

If you’ve agreed a price and then afterwards seek to impose additional restrictions - it would only be fair and reasonable to expect a possible change of contract price to accommodate additional requirements. 

Can’t over estimate how important it is to talk these issues through before work starts. 

Worst case - Ive had a customer complain about hedgerow primroses being stood on whilst taking down a hedgerow tree before. 

We’re good, but our feet do have to use the ground. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Marc Lewis said:

This conversation should of been had at the pricing/quoting stage.

I'm not sure what conversation you mean? The estimator was aware there are smaller trees but when the guys turn up in winter, they haven't been on-site before, surely it's my responsibility to point out any issues or hazards before they begin. I'm asking how I make them aware of things I don't want damaged on the day. I have been thinking of simply getting some trail-marker tape onto smaller trees and just pointing it out when I show them the site, so nobody can accidentally walk/drive a chipper over them thinking they're weeds. This time of year the branches are bare and the light is poor.

12 hours ago, MisterBoy said:

I'm not sure what conversation you mean? The estimator was aware there are smaller trees but when the guys turn up in winter, they haven't been on-site before, surely it's my responsibility to point out any issues or hazards before they begin. I'm asking how I make them aware of things I don't want damaged on the day. I have been thinking of simply getting some trail-marker tape onto smaller trees and just pointing it out when I show them the site, so nobody can accidentally walk/drive a chipper over them thinking they're weeds. This time of year the branches are bare and the light is poor.

My quote would specify "Use lowering ropes to dismantle tree to prevent damage to newly planted trees in drop zone" - 

Good idea with the tape,  just mark up the trees with a bright tape, a couple of strands in each whip before the guys get on site, then just talk it through with the foreman at start of day. You could also ring the office a couple of days before job starts and refresh their memories about the newly planted trees that you have now marked up with visible tape,  and you want to make sure they are kept as reasonably undamaged as possible as discussed with the whoever quoted on the day........... 

If you are using a decent firm, there wont be an issue, but it is not uncommon for the odd bit of damage to occur when even when great care is taken and there is always a touch of luck involved  in treework.....but a good firm will make the customer aware if this happens and repair/ replace.....

• Like 3