E10 petrol and headaches ?

miker

2 hours ago, Dbikeguy said:

Buy Aspen in larger quantities and the pricing goes down.
Anyone can afford Aspen you just chuck an extra amount of the quote… £5 on a smaller job and so on.

You have to factor in the rebuilding of older saws. Rubber components degraded by petrol do not like the change ☹️

• 2 months later...

Keeping an eye on this be interested to know as I have a lot of old machinery that’s about to get scrapped because it can’t run the e10 on

On 07/11/2021 at 06:33, Patrick goulding said:

The super unleaded e5 is what we have gone to had no issues. We have bought a additive to for the e10 petrol ️ but can’t remember what it’s called but I’ll have a look cheers hope this helps 👍 

43 minutes ago, Hayskid96 said:

Keeping an eye on this be interested to know as I have a lot of old machinery that’s about to get scrapped because it can’t run the e10 on

Is that not a bit hasty? Premium (E5) might be 20p/litre more than standard (E10). If you burn 10 litres a day, your costs are £2 higher. Can you not charge £2/day extra rather than scrapping hundreds or thousands of pounds of machines?

• Like 1

On 07/11/2021 at 06:32, Gav73 said:

I tried some super unleaded in my backpack blower for the first time this week - only thing I noticed was how much fuel it went through, about double the amount it usually does!

Tecnically it should burn less I thought? As the less ethanol content the more calories?

I have to sort the ride on carb rubbers soon, no doubt caused by E5 let alone E10. We are lucky in that we have a Shell nearby, so have switched to their Supreme option which in our area is still zero ethanol (although legally has to be marked E5 at the pump)

• Like 1

Tecnically it should burn less I thought? As the less ethanol content the more calories?

Not a clue on the calories, but it definitely went through double the amount of fuel. I normally mix up a litre of fuel at a time for the blower and use about half a litre blowing the leaves on the drive, around the house and a bit of the road. With the super unleaded the tank doing the same amount of work, the tank was almost dry.

https://www.bali.org.uk/help-and-advice/documents/e10-fuel/e10-fuel.pdf

E10  may create more tailpipe emissions according to honda:

Honda have suggested running older landscape
equipment on E10 fuel may result in engines not meeting strict Euro 5 emissions regulations

Could account for headaches if emissions increase?

EDIT: (some quick googling)

To investigate this, we tested E10 on 17 gasoline vehicles in Europe from a wide range of manufacturers. On average, CO2 emissions fell by 0.5%, but this varied at the model level from an increase of 7.1% to a decrease of 6.3%. All were relatively new Euro 5 or Euro 6 vehicles, tested on our standardised on-road cycle made up of urban, rural and motorway elements. Due to the lower energy content of E10, the fuel economy worsened on average by 1.2%, with a similarly wide variation. Perhaps unexpectedly, emissions of nitrogen oxides (NOx) increased by 16.6% on average, from an initial level of 59 mg/km. Carbon monoxide (CO) fell on average by 4.5%.

Why is the use of biofuels, promising environmentally friendly reductions in emissions especially for heavy-duty vehicles...

NOx has direct and indirect effects on human health. It can cause breathing problems, headaches, chronically reduced lung function, eye irritation, loss of appetite and corroded teeth. Indirectly, it can affect humans by damaging the ecosystems they rely on in water and on land—harming animals and plants

Hmmm so might be something in the e10 & headaches. Worse thing ive expereinced for fumes  is pto tractor splitters. Don't think id like to use one often 😐

Edited by Stere

11 hours ago, Stere said:

Hmmm so might be something in the e10 & headaches. Worse thing ive expereinced for fumes  is pto tractor splitters. Don't think id like to use one often 😐

Why would a tractor PTO splitter be worse for fumes than any other machinery? Can’t think of anything where the exhaust is further and higher away from the operator?

2 hours ago, dan blocker said:

Why would a tractor PTO splitter be worse for fumes than any other machinery? Can’t think of anything where the exhaust is further and higher away from the operator?

Tractors come in all shapes and sizes, if they are facing into the wind the fumes tumble over the cab and sit there.  Also not all tractors are large with cabs .

1A24B96B-52A5-4A2D-A0C3-BC405545F07E.jpeg