How do you sharpen your bandsaw blades?

Woodworks

Just about to buy a mill and realise regular sharpening is essential. Had a quote for getting them done at £11 each. This is going to add up pretty quickly as from what I have read the blades need changing every 1-2 hours of milling. 

I came across these CBN wheels for Ripper blades and wondering if they will work in a regular electric chainsaw grinder. Would need to make a few mods for the clamping mechanism but that shouldn't be a problem 

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

CBN grinding wheel for band saw grinding to use on Ripper37 from Dakin-Flathers tooth profile band saw blades. For:...

Just about to buy a mill and realise regular sharpening is essential. Had a quote for getting them done at £11 each. This is going to add up pretty quickly as from what I have read the blades need changing every 1-2 hours of milling. 

I came across these CBN wheels for Ripper blades and wondering if they will work in a regular electric chainsaw grinder. Would need to make a few mods for the clamping mechanism but that shouldn't be a problem 
s-l400.jpg WWW.EBAY.CO.UK
CBN grinding wheel for band saw grinding to use on Ripper37 from Dakin-Flathers tooth profile band saw blades. For:...  

I think I’m £7 for a sharpen and set from a pro that is well versed with Ripper Blades. Setting is as important as sharpening so if you’re buying one tool you’ll need the other. Thankfully Woodlands make a very nifty looking setting tool for very reasonable money.

That sharpening stone will not work with a chainsaw chain sharpener and is for more professional band sharpeners.

I have the Grindlux 4000, I think they are now owned by Logosol but could be wrong. Logosol and Woodlands both put their stickers on it and rebrand it to their own part numbers. It’s a great wee sharpener from the reviews but I’m yet to use mine in anger yet. I think they are over £700 inc vat now.

So £700 for a sharpener, £300 for the setting tool and all the hours sitting watching them do their thing. I just don’t have the time for that. So I’ve got over 30 bands now. I use 10 and have 10 sent away for sharpening. It’s done right and work every time.

I’ve killed 3 used once bands setting up my Grindlux 4000. That’s equivalent to over 14 sharpens. :(
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

I think I’m £7 for a sharpen and set from a pro that is well versed with Ripper Blades. Setting is as important as sharpening so if you’re buying one tool you’ll need the other. Thankfully Woodlands make a very nifty looking setting tool for very reasonable money.

That sharpening stone will not work with a chainsaw chain sharpener and is for more professional band sharpeners.

I have the Grindlux 4000, I think they are now owned by Logosol but could be wrong. Logosol and Woodlands both put their stickers on it and rebrand it to their own part numbers. It’s a great wee sharpener from the reviews but I’m yet to use mine in anger yet. I think they are over £700 inc vat now.

So £700 for a sharpener, £300 for the setting tool and all the hours sitting watching them do their thing. I just don’t have the time for that. So I’ve got over 30 bands now. I use 10 and have 10 sent away for sharpening. It’s done right and work every time.

I’ve killed 3 used once bands setting up my Grindlux 4000. That’s equivalent to over 14 sharpens. :(

The Grindlux 4000 is the same grinder as Woodland Mills are offering. Think they are selling them for a bit less. Started this thread as I was debating buying it with the mill or going down another rout.

Wish I could get them done for £7 but there is little choice down this way. To be fair the £11 each is a delivered price.

My thought on set was to do a few sharpens myself and then send them away for a pro sharpen and set.

My time is not that precious and I enjoy sharpening things. 

3 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

The Grindlux 4000 is the same grinder as Woodland Mills are offering. Think they are selling them for a bit less. Started this thread as I was debating buying it with the mill or going down another rout.

Wish I could get them done for £7 but there is little choice down this way. To be fair the £11 each is a delivered price.

My thought on set was to do a few sharpens myself and then send them away for a pro sharpen and set.

My time is not that precious and I enjoy sharpening things. 

I did state that the Woodland Mills sharpener is the Grindlux, but no matter. 🤣

Im £7 a band but that’s plus shipping. So the more you send at once the less shipping is per band. I’m in Scotland and ship them the Wales. I think I’m £30 shipping in total so for 10 bands I’m a tenner a band. 20 like last time then I’m £8.50. 

My thinking was the same. 1-2 sharpens then off to the pro. I’ll set mine up sometime when I’m less busy. 

I quite like sharpening too. Got a Tormek For knives and chisels. Keeping an eye out for the HSS planer knife jig if one ever comes up used. But Bands get rather monotonous rather quickly. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Watercourse management said:

Knocked these up to sharpen and set my bands, there simple and work.

57AFA56B-1A0D-4E42-BAA8-61679821E408.jpeg

Thats fantastic.

I had considered trying to make my own advancer in combination with a chainsaw grinder. Presumably that sharpens the front of the tooth but just a small part of the gullet? I was of the understanding you need to lightly grind the whole gullet or hairline cracks form in the end resulting in blades snapping. Have you had this problem or is just a theoretical problem that rarely happens? 

Edited by Woodworks

i have the woodlands sharpener and setting tool, once set up the grinder is pretty good, if not a bit slow. my local saw doctor charges £10 pet blade and normally has a weeks turn around, so i have decided it's better for me to do them myself at least i have sharp blades when i want them.

do people set befor or after sharpening?