Makita 18v top handle saw question.

stenner

Well, I'd be strongly inclined to wait just a month or so, before buying the current models of Makita saw... even if you already run their tools. 

I was over in our local saw dealer's today (who also happens to be a long-term Makita agent), who confirmed the next 56v Makita top-handled saw will (finally!) be coming out, in the New year.

Apparently it will offer a massive increase in run time with the new 56v batteries (which when I picked one up, didn't feel any bigger or heavier than the previous units, as mentioned previously in this thread) but are twice the voltage, obviously !).

Even if you don't plump for the new improved Makita set-up, I reckon there might likely be some good offers on the existing range, in the next month or two ?

Slight De-rail warning :  I am also quite surprised to understand all of the Makita 2 stroke powered saws and tools are going out of production next year, to be replaced by cordless tool options . I guess others on here must have mentioned this previously; but I was suprised -Makita make some pretty good saws !

I'm not really sure how anyone's supposed to have enough batteries to be able to power an equivalent 60+ cc saw or say, a 40+ cc brushcutter for a working day, but, hey...

Seems like the age of use-able cordless saws is finally dawning, for better or worse.

I believe its the same for Sthil's chainsaws, except they are keeping their professional range of 2 stroke saws in production -for now, at least.

Well, I'd be strongly inclined to wait just a month or so, before buying the current models of Makita saw... even if you already run their tools. 

I was over in our local saw dealer's today (who also happens to be a long-term Makita agent), who confirmed the next 56v Makita top-handled saw will (finally!) be coming out, in the New year.
Apparently it will offer a massive increase in run time with the new 56v batteries (which when I picked one up, didn't feel any bigger or heavier than the previous units, as mentioned previously in this thread) but are twice the voltage, obviously !).
Even if you don't plump for the new improved Makita set-up, I reckon there might likely be some good offers on the existing range, in the next month or two ?

Slight De-rail warning :  I am also quite surprised to understand all of the Makita 2 stroke powered saws and tools are going out of production next year, to be replaced by cordless tool options . I guess others on here must have mentioned this previously; but I was suprised -Makita make some pretty good saws !
I'm not really sure how anyone's supposed to have enough batteries to be able to power an equivalent 60+ cc saw or say, a 40+ cc brushcutter for a working day, but, hey...
Seems like the age of use-able cordless saws is finally dawning, for better or worse.

I believe its the same for Sthil's chainsaws, except they are keeping their professional range of 2 stroke saws in production -for now, at least.

I'm still not perfectly clear Makita are stopping absolutely all petrol or all petrol in the garden tools range (ie not those forestry saws for which there is not going to be a battery equivalent).

Likewise I've seen the notification on Makita site but not Dolmar so maybe the petrol saws will continue in red. Fingers crossed anyway.

Picked up the single battery 18 volt t handle other day and am liking it. 

Not started hedging just yet so can't comment on run times etc. The little Makita will be used in conjunction with the ol stihl.. laying smaller stuff with Makita, and cutting out firing etc with the petrol.. 

Would like to convert the Makita 18v to a 1/4 inch stihl 10inch bar and chain.. 

Running the standard 56 link stihl chain.. anyone done this conversion and what sprocket was used?, how many tooth sprocket? 7,8 and is that off the stihl msa saws?  or the 9 Makita one?.. 

Do you drill the bar to get the 56 link to fit?  Any on line videos of the 18 v Makita to stihl bar conversion?  

Edited by stenner