Solid grate or not.

I have a couple of Jotul 3 log burners the MF versions. These were inherited with the property, they are the MF versions as the previous owner burnt anthracite as well as wood.

Now I know logs burn better on a solid bed of ash but mine do not get the chance , any ash fairly soon falls through into the ash pan.  Is it worth me getting a couple of solid grates at about £90 each or just living with them as they are. I have considered getting a blacksmith to make me up a couple of pieces of solid cast iron.

No there is no adjustment on the grates.  I think it is the later models that became available with some sort of adjustable grate. My wifes even goes to the extreme, if I am not watching, of opening the ash tray removal door to get an even BETTER airflow. I have given up trying to educate as to how the stove should be used.😀

11 hours ago, Bogqart said:

No there is no adjustment on the grates.  I think it is the later models that became available with some sort of adjustable grate. My wifes even goes to the extreme, if I am not watching, of opening the ash tray removal door to get an even BETTER airflow. I have given up trying to educate as to how the stove should be used.😀

I thought you where going all Samuel L Jackson with the MF description of your stoves. :D 

How about adding a 5mm sheet of steel to the bottom of one to gauge the difference in the stoves performance? If you see a noticeable difference then spend the £90 on each of them. I think at £90 each Id consider just getting some 10-12mm plate cut to size and run that. 

• Like 1

I have used these before for mild steel 

Buy Mild Steel Sheets from our wide range - FREE Cutting Service, Next Day Delivery & FREE Delivery for orders over £75 | metals4U

They'll cut rectangles to size for you and like trigger_andy sys, far cheaper than £90 - how well mild steel will lest I am not sure

• Like 1

Do you need anything? I bought a conversion kit for our multifuel stove and it basically removed the grate so the logs burn on the base of the stove. (Even when I clean it out I leave a cm or two of ash as I'm not keen on burning on the bare base. Logs certainly burn better in my stove without the grate and I can load more in for less refueling.

1 hour ago, Steven P said:

I have used these before for mild steel 

Buy Mild Steel Sheets from our wide range - FREE Cutting Service, Next Day Delivery & FREE Delivery for orders over £75 | metals4U

They'll cut rectangles to size for you and like trigger_andy sys, far cheaper than £90 - how well mild steel will lest I am not sure

An old baking tray cut to fit or cut metal from a tin can, once it has a layer of ash on it it will last.

• Like 1

Was always on the opinion that one had to use cast iron. Was told by a structural engineer, many years ago,  that one should not steel for a lintel over a log burner/fireplace as it cannot handle the heat. Unlike cast iron has the propensity to suddenly warp messing up any brickwork above.  Hence my thinking that cast iron is the way to go, especially as the stove is all cast iron.

Was always on the opinion that one had to use cast iron. Was told by a structural engineer, many years ago,  that one should not steel for a lintel over a log burner/fireplace as it cannot handle the heat. Unlike cast iron has the propensity to suddenly warp messing up any brickwork above.  Hence my thinking that cast iron is the way to go, especially as the stove is all cast iron.

What’s the worst that could happen? The structure of the logs gets a little outta shape? Whoppie!

The op should try it, the 12mm plate “might” warp eventually but by then it’s task of determining if investing £90 on the correct cast iron replacement is worth it or not. No Structure Engineer required.