COP26

kevinjohnsonmbe

41 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Never seen that before. Looks handy.

No one thought it would work so the Rig Mechanic tried everything he could then gave up. Not his problem.

Going out  of procedures tends to be taboo  with people as you know bud. Lack of intellect 🤮maybe people should understand one wrong move based upon a flawed idea or suggestion can be disastrous, the level of safety out there is something people don’t get unless you’re involved. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

Going out  of procedures tends to be taboo  with people as you know bud. Lack of intellect 🤮maybe people should understand one wrong move based upon a flawed idea or suggestion can be disastrous, the level of safety out there is something people don’t get unless you’re involved. 

That’s the thing. Even the Pusher, OIM or Company Man seems to need on-shore approval to leave the Procedure. Then the provider wants a Management of Change to absolve themselves. 

Safety as you say is off the scale these days. 

I guess not everyone can be as intelligent as someone who chops down trees for a living. 🤣

6 minutes ago, Stere said:

shrink & expansion like heating   but guess a blow tourch flame isn't a got idea on an oil rig 😬

& all  non spark tools?

Not all the time but there is no shortage  of intellect out there. The things to remember is decisions are made by teams and follow a pattern etc ie hiras or hazops to try and think out any possible **************** ups  rather just running with what seems like a good idea. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stere said:

shrink & expansion like heating   but guess a blow tourch flame isn't a got idea on an oil rig 😬

& all  non spark tools?

There’s gas axes on Rigs, just in very controlled environments. Welding takes place all over and where needed. We sometimes Solder connections on the Drill Floor. Which is fun on critical connections on a string thats moving up and down a meter in relation to the rig. The strings not actually moving, the rig is. But it sure looks like the string is going up and down. 

8 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

There’s gas axes on Rigs, just in very controlled environments. Welding takes place all over and where needed. We sometimes Solder connections on the Drill Floor. Which is fun on critical connections on a string thats moving up and down a meter in relation to the rig. The strings not actually moving, the rig is. But it sure looks like the string is going up and down. 

Might have to bash one out tonight watching deep water horizon eh. 
jokes aside you seen Chris Lemons incident on Last Breath ?? 

Edited by Johnsond
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Johnsond said:

Might have to bash one out tonight watching deep water horizon eh. 
jokes aside you seen Chris Lemons incident on Last Breath ?? 

Enough already! 

I now agree with the previous poster who claimed the thread was going off track. 

How have we ended up in a roughnecks locker room with Stubby’s finger up Andy’s bumholio and a can of insta-freeze?

Animals - the lot of ya....

Take this subject seriously for the sake of the children!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Enough already! 

I now agree with the previous poster who claimed the thread was going off track. 

How have we ended up in a roughnecks locker room with Stubby’s finger up Andy’s bumholio and a can of insta-freeze?

Animals - the lot of ya....

Take this subject seriously for the sake of the children!

" its only banter "  K

( I'll get me bat ....    :/   )

• Haha 1

On 05/11/2021 at 19:02, peds said:

Well, you had my sympathies until that last part, because the short term economic sting necessary to effect significant change will inevitably hurt us little people more than the fabulously wealthy who can, of course, easily afford it. But I'm afraid the consequences of the ongoing ecological collapse and the ever-worsening climate catastrophe aren't just a problem to faced by brown people from the future in places with exciting food. Scientific consensus is that thanks to the knock-on effects of climate change on its current trajectory, anyone on Earth born after 1970 has had their life expectancy cut short somewhere between slightly and dramatically; the most common causes of death for people of my own generation (circa 1986) are going to be starvation and suicide; and my own children of 3 and 4 are statistically unlikely to make it past their 30th birthdays. 

I'm not sure what O-Level science textbook you are getting your ideas from, but the kick-off date for "global warming" isn't an agreeably-distant 2100 any more, for us here in the civilised western hemisphere we can't expect our pampered and luxurious lifestyles to extend much beyond the year 2030.

To boil it down into simply economic terms as you are keen to do, we can either take a bit of a sting now and maybe stand a chance of not having global society collapse around us, or we can most definitely suffer the same economic sting a few years down the line and immediately watch everyone we know and love starve to death.

The most frustrating thing is patiently explaining this to people like yourself as the clock slowly runs out. 

It’s scaremongering like this that make people ignore it.

scientists have been crying apocalypse for 40 years and not much of what they have said has come true.

im not a climate change denier but also I don’t believe that the world will fry itself in the next ten years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Richard 1234 said:

It’s scaremongering like this that make people ignore it.

scientists have been crying apocalypse for 40 years and not much of what they have said has come true.

im not a climate change denier but also I don’t believe that the world will fry itself in the next ten years.

10 years till the apocolype? You're probably correct, it's not the most likely scenario, but interestingly, around 40 years ago even the scientists of Shell and Exxon (sticking with the oil company theme) warned that CO2 emissions were a problem and would become an even greater problem. 

Amongst climate scientists there is an overwhelming majority who have carried out peer-reviewed work, research and modelling , and they are all coming to the same conclusion.

What there seems to be less sureity about is not if it will hapen but when it will happen, with some concerned about a kind of domino effect once certain limits are breeched. I am not a scientist, but I think we ignore this science and the potential for long-term and serious impact on the planet and our lives at our peril.

• Like 3