Fraxinus excelsior ‘Pendula’ and Ash Die back.

Rich Rule

Just been to look at a weeping Ash tree.  The tree is in a pretty bad state.  Lots of deadwood, mind you, I have never seen one without a decent amount of dead.

This tree is pretty messy and looks to have dieback.  A pretty rare species to find inNorway.  With that in mind someone has told him he cannot fell it as it is rare.

The tree isn’t protected it is just opinion of the advice he has been given.

They have small children, I dont think, regardless of how rare it is, the tree isn’t really worthy of saving.

Plus…. Is the cultivar susceptible to Ash Die back?

Any advice appreciated.

Picture below of the mess.

D9B7994B-5757-4045-ACCD-DDAD237CAEC8.jpeg

25 minutes ago, Rich Rule said:

Plus…. Is the cultivar susceptible to Ash Die back?

Yes. "Chalara ash dieback is especially destructive of the UK’s native common or European ash (Fraxinus excelsior), including its ‘Pendula’ ornamental variety."

https://www.forestresearch.gov.uk/tools-and-resources/fthr/pest-and-disease-resources/ash-dieback-hymenoscyphus-fraxineus/

It does look a mess, but I'm not a fan of weeping cultivars.

Is there any diamond lesions? I tend to find them higher up in mature trees, easier to spot once felled. The other thing that seems common is new shoots dying, so you see the greenish wood suddenly turning brown half way down a stem.

• Thanks 1

Thanks.

I am not a fan of weeping varieties either tbh.

I know the ‘Pendula’ shares the traits of the Common Ash.  Just wasn’t 100% sure regarding Chalara.  But you have confirmed my initial thoughts.

Whatever the reason, the tree has a large amount of deadwood and would be a pain in the arse to clean up.  It would look pretty sparse up top and then there is no guarantee it would recover.  

I didn’t get a good look at the foliage towards the top of the crown but didn’t see any diamonds in the lower canopy regrowth.

I think I will recommend a fell unless anyone else has information that would be relevant to retaining the tree.

Thanks again.

We have just finished taking down these 2. The weeping ash round here have been hit really hard with ADB. Clearing up was a right pita, loads of broken twigs everywhere.

They are awful to climb, the dead limbs are really decayed and weak. Nearer the centre of the tree was fine, but branch walking out to clear the phone lines wasn't pleasant! J.20210726_134052.jpeg.623e4544b30005f8cc04a3bb17f7cfe0.jpeg

• Like 1

Unpleasant.

That was my experience of working on them anytime of the year, pre ADB or post.

We used to do a lot of work in old Cemetry’s around London.  There were always in really bad condition.  Combine the points you said regarding the brittle aspect, the boss would often get a MEWP in yet that makes it almost impossible to do the whole crown.

Twiggs galore and gravestones make for a PITA cleanup.

• Like 1