Solar security light for yard

shillo

I’ve been well pleased with Srewfix’s offerings. Strangely it’s the cheaper ones that are still operating 8 years after purchase and the dearest one at £60 or so that died after 2 years.
They don’t offer endless light as their battery capacity is limited, but as a quick and easy off grid solution I’m a fan and have about 10 around our small holding.

• Like 1

This thread would be better in one of the more frequented general sections.,

If you like a bit of diy you can make your own;

>Solar panel of whatever size you like

>Charge controller

>12v battery. I rummage through the piles at the scrappy with a multimeter looking for large batteries in good shape. Truck/tractor/leisure batteries. He is cheap as chips and when they wear out you can sell them back and get your money back!

>12v DC PIR sensor

>12v lights of whatever style you chose

Another question would be what is a security light, will there be anyone there to see it come on?

Is it more secure to have the yard in total darkness, so thieves can't see what they are doing, (maybe with a few trip hazards!) and any torch is very obvious to anyone watching?

Or motion activated lights, but no one pays any attention to them, and creates areas with dark shadows for the thieves to hide in? And they never seem to come on/stay on when you want them!!

Or have the whole yard brightly lit all the time, so any intruder can be seen, with nowhere to hide?

I don't know which of the 3 above is least appealing to potential thieves?

• Like 4

9 hours ago, scbk said:

This thread would be better in one of the more frequented general sections.,

If you like a bit of diy you can make your own;

>Solar panel of whatever size you like

>Charge controller

>12v battery. I rummage through the piles at the scrappy with a multimeter looking for large batteries in good shape. Truck/tractor/leisure batteries. He is cheap as chips and when they wear out you can sell them back and get your money back!

>12v DC PIR sensor

>12v lights of whatever style you chose

Another question would be what is a security light, will there be anyone there to see it come on?

Is it more secure to have the yard in total darkness, so thieves can't see what they are doing, (maybe with a few trip hazards!) and any torch is very obvious to anyone watching?

Or motion activated lights, but no one pays any attention to them, and creates areas with dark shadows for the thieves to hide in? And they never seem to come on/stay on when you want them!!

Or have the whole yard brightly lit all the time, so any intruder can be seen, with nowhere to hide?

I don't know which of the 3 above is least appealing to potential thieves?

There is a bit of a middle ground - albeit not perfect. 

As ever, “layers” of overlapping / complimentary systems are a good approach. 

I like solar PIR for convenience and when cleverly placed can illuminate areas covered by CCTV. 

As you say - no silver bullet and cheap PIR solar lights are cheap because they are made by 7 year Chinese peasant children and then shipped across the ocean!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve got some completely dark steps up to the back of my workshop that I’ve nearly set my arse on a few times.

I took your advice Kev and bought a cheapo PIR solar light from Screwfix for £23.99.

Bingo! I can now see where I’m going.

Fair play to these little Chinese kids, they’ve sorted me right out!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

I’ve got some completely dark steps up to the back of my workshop that I’ve nearly set my arse on a few times.

I took your advice Kev and bought a cheapo solar PIR solar light from Screwfix for £23.99.

Bingo! I can now see where I’m going.

Fair play to these little Chinese kids, they’ve sorted me right out!

Yeah, don’t let ur guard down though!

Little barstewards have probably embedded a ‘chip’ which will disrupt yr PH surfing and redirect you to an PRC ‘educational’ site which will morph you into a disciple of Chairman Mao’s little red book. 

That PiR beam is actually a mind control mechanism which will ‘activate’ you as an enemy of the state when PRC invade Taiwan. 

• Haha 3

Yeah, don’t let ur guard down though!

Little barstewards have probably embedded a ‘chip’ which will disrupt yr PH surfing and redirect you to an PRC ‘educational’ site which will morph you into a disciple of Chairman Mao’s little red book. 

That PiR beam is actually a mind control mechanism which will ‘activate’ you as an enemy of the state when PRC invade Taiwan. 

You been on the Pussers Rum again Jack?🤣
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Tinfoil hat time, I've made mine double thickness this time they're not getting into my head again.

aluminium-foil-hat-isolated-on-white-bac

• Like 1