The lifespan of equipment for LOLER

ickabod

Courant ropes and prusiks:

"The service life of the ropes depends on the frequency and type of use. The use of the rope, with mechanical devices, friction, UV rays and humidity will speed up ageing and wear and tear.

Intensive use: 3 months to 1 year

Average use: 2 to 3 years

Regular but light use: 4 to 5 years

Infrequent use: 10 years (maximum life span)"

Edited by ickabod

Brands: (Its quite hard to find information so I hope these are correct. Feel free to tell me otherwise and I'll update my table)

·         Donaghys and Arbor response are made by Southern Ropes in the UK? – owned by a company in NZ? (Also possibly made in South Africa?) Be aware that not all Donaghy's climbing ropes are CE certified and that a non-CE certified rope cannot pass a LOLER inspection for climbing but can for rigging.

·         Dragon - owned by Buxtons. They import some textiles, lanyards and hardware from Protekt in Poland. The ropes are made by Marlow in the UK

·         Dreevo - owned by Treekit in the UK. Manufacturers of the kit are SAR and Liros.

·         English Braids – I think they both manufacture ropes and buy in ropes to sell. “Alliance” ropes are made by Fletcher Stewart, “Euro Rig” rope is identical to Stein’s “Omega” rope (Fletcher Stewart) “Prusik Pro” is almost identical to the Teufelberger “OP” and the 9mm “Silva Prusik” is almost identical to the Teufelberger 10mm “epiCORD” prusik.

·         Euroline are a brand owned by A. Haberkorn in Austria. (They sell spare parts for Tree Austria harnesses which they make as well as making Stein harness’s).

·         Harkies – owned by Harkie Global Ltd They import some textiles and hardware from Protekt in Poland

·         Husqvarna/Harkies/Notch/Treehog branded HMS and oval karabiners appear to have been made in the same factory (which one I don’t know. Please tell me) but have very different kN and lifespans. The Notch ones that I’ve seen don’t seem to have individual serial numbers but are stamped as being CE certified. The Husqvarna ones have a lifespan of 3 years from date of manufacture.

·         New England – owned and manufactured by Teufelberger in the USA. New England are a brand of Teufelberger

·         Notch - owned by Sherilltree in the USA. Their harnesses are CE certified because they’re made by Edelrid in Germany and some of the hardware is made by Rock Exotica and rebranded. The Notch “Jet Step” foot ascender is very similar to the Harken “Ninja” foot ascender so I presume either Harken manufacture them or they outsource them.

·         Simarghu harness– Not sure of the owner/manufacturer but there is a link to Carrs Billington Agricultural (Sales) Ltd. Carlisle UK.

·         Stein - owned by Fletcher/Stewart in the UK. Fletcher Stewart is the importer (or manufacturer) of Yale ropes in the UK. ISC manufacture most of the Stein hardware and A. Haberkorn manufacture the Stein Vega harnesses in Austria.

·         Tree Austria/Tango - owned by Drayer in Germany (harnesses are manufactured by A. Haberkorn in Austria. The ropes and slings are manufactured by several companies).

·         Treehog - one of the brands belonging to Flexion Global Ltd. (Who also own Arbortec clothing). They import some textiles and hardware from Protekt in Poland.

ARBORTEC.FRESHDESK.COM

Harness/Soft goods - The lifespan of our soft items such as harnesses is 10years from the date of manufacture, this date...

PROTEKT catalogue. Search for the arborist one

PROTEKT.UK

Edited by ickabod

• 2 months later...

Donaghys is made in South Africa by Southern Ropes.

English Braids are a manufacturer, they make ropes for Stein.

Cousin Trestec are a manufacturer and also make ropes for Petzl.

Harken Industrial make the Jet step

Fletcher Stewart import Yale rope

Edited by High Scale
Added