The lifespan of equipment for LOLER

ickabod

I'm a LOLER inspector based in Lewes near Brighton and i thought id share a document that ive been working on regarding the lifespan of PPE and Rigging equipment. I have a comprehensive document available for my clients but also a free sealed PDF version available for anyone to make use of.

I hope it helps when buying new kit

WWW.LOLERFORARBORISTS.CO.UK

Chris

• Like 6

I was quite surprised when i started looking into it.

Stein lowering capstans/bollards have a lifespan between 12 months and 5 years depending on use while Buckingham capstans have no age limit (and depending on the size, different Safety Factors although the UK 5:1 safety factor will still be applied)

Treehog Hardware is limited to 5 years from the date of production whereas the manufacturer Protekt in Poland say 10 years for its hardware.

The Tree Austria 3.2 harnesses has information which goes from 1 to 12 years depending on how often its used. Some of the words used to describe the 3.2 harness and its potential lifespan are: “intensive/daily/regular/regular seasonal/occasional/sporadic/maximum operating life/longevity/realistic application period/ When properly stored and without being used.”

Husqvarna say that their karabiners must be retired after 3 years from the date on manufacture whilst Harkies, Notch and Treehog who have strikingly similar karabiners (possibly made in the same factory?) have differing lifespans. The ART Spiderjack 2.1 has a lifespan on the textile and metal parts of 5 years in service whereas a Petzl Zigzag has no specific lifespan.

• Like 2

Agreed but then again worse for people buying kit expecting it to last a decent amount of time only to find out it failed because its lifespan is 5 years from the date of manufacture. If that piece of equipment sat on a shelf in a shop for a year before you bought it then I'm sure it's a bit gutting.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just a quick update

·          The “Dragon adjustable work positioning lanyard” and the very similar “Treehog rope lanyard with rope grab” (Treehog sell this with and without a swivel karabiner) . Both lanyards are manufactured by Protekt in Poland. The lanyard is CE certified as a whole unit with the serial number being placed on the lanyard. The components cannot be reused separately and the rope cannot be replaced as the ropegrab and karabiners have no individual id. Be aware that this style of ropegrab has been cloned and is on sale on Aliexpress and eBay with CE markings. The CE in this instance means China Export.

WWW.LOLERFORARBORISTS.CO.UK

Edited by ickabod