Makita saws flooding

Conner

Do you store it either brim full, or completely run empty? It says in various manuals to do this, a smaller volume of air in the tank is better to reduce water absorption but we also had a thread once about how topping the chain oil after use reduces leakage. My theory heat whilst running warms and pressurises the tank, topping up releases the pressure and you add cold fuel.

Saying that I don't think any of my saws would actually be flooded if I didn't top them up, that includes a Makita and two Dolmars.

They are usually either cleaned and put on shelf or if just had light use put back with whatever fuel is left in there. I tent to forget to drain down and as using motomix don’t need to. This usually happens after a couple of weeks standing if used every couple of days no problems.
Just a bit embarrassing when you turn up on site and have to remove plug to start the saw. [emoji23][emoji23]

16 hours ago, Stubby said:

A working tank vent should take care of all the above .

The stihl vents are one way and only let air in so high pressure on the tank through heat may cause the metering needle to leak if the spring is weak. Not sure if the vents on Makitas are similar, don't do enough!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, spudulike said:

The stihl vents are one way and only let air in so high pressure on the tank through heat may cause the metering needle to leak if the spring is weak. Not sure if the vents on Makitas are similar, don't do enough!

I think my Echo CS350 tes does something similar, I'm assuming a pressure test on the carb would reveal a problem though? 

Also got a spare 200t carb that wouldn't hold pressure I bought a rebuild kit for, I don't know if the spring comes in the kit but after reading this thread I think I'll have to replace it as well to be sure.

Well both saws started today no problem at all. Checked metering arm heights ok. Well ok to my un-trained eye. Suspect problem is tank pressure. They are stored up high just under a steel Corrugated roof so take a lot of heat. It’s been cool the last couple of weeks.
Will keep an eye on the temp and see how it goes. Thanks for all the suggestions it’s really appreciated.

8 minutes ago, Conner said:

Well both saws started today no problem at all. Checked metering arm heights ok. Well ok to my un-trained eye. Suspect problem is tank pressure. They are stored up high just under a steel Corrugated roof so take a lot of heat. It’s been cool the last couple of weeks.
Will keep an eye on the temp and see how it goes. Thanks for all the suggestions it’s really appreciated.

If what you say about heat ( being stored up high ) could it be vapor lock ?