How big a mill to get?

Woodworks

15 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

Are the guides 1 piece or 2 I know the replacement ones are 2 piece to allow them to be fitted whilst mill is built. We took the retaining plates off and warmed  the plastic guides up plus a bit of lube then slid them on and refitted the retaining plates. Fiddly but doable although easier with assistance. 

2 piece - they’ll go together no problem with an extra pair of hands. I’m pissed and decided to walk away!

6 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

2 piece - they’ll go together no problem with an extra pair of hands. I’m pissed and decided to walk away!

Yeah the replacement ones when they wear out are in two halves ( the head has noticeably more movement on the uprights when they get worn) . The devils vomit and building a sawmill probs ain’t the best combo 👍

77E7B309-E307-465A-8F0F-A2F024EEAD41.png

Edited by Johnsond
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, monkeybusiness said:

I’ve seen my arse with it tonight - everything out of the box is as-per the instructions until now.
A steel section has to pass through the mill head and will ultimately be what carries the entire mill, controlling the thickness of cut, so obviously needs to be a tight interference fit.
The instructions are very clear on there being a disposable plastic guide that is to be removed following assembly. 
32F42B20-E6F2-4F4F-BA9C-A45A385808BC.thumb.jpeg.316c66f43276318562d39fcea2b79e5f.jpeg

There is no guide in either upright, and the fit required is incredibly tight (which is good). 
C7B30B6C-5C64-489D-AB83-6D5ECB835D97.thumb.jpeg.e722e2de1d4be8ed2afa1ae9730971f7.jpeg

I’m on my own, in my happy beer-shed-Saturday-night-do-shit place. There is not a hope I can get this steel through the nylon bushes without any cutting (which I’m definitely not going to do) - those guides are definitely a necessity and are missing.

Bastardo!!! 
(I’ve twatted the shit out of it with a 3x2 - it will go in with someone else lining it all up but that’s not the point!). 

Edited by GWYNFIL

Monkey biz .if i remember right the end caps came loose in ur bits you knock em on and remove after pushing the uprights through.. ( might be black been a while) i struggled with them fitted so can imagine getting them through without would be hard work without damaging the bushings.

Edited by GWYNFIL
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, GWYNFIL said:

Monkey biz .if i remember right the end caps came loose in ur bits you knock em on and remove after pushing the uprights through.. ( might be black been a while) i struggled with them fitted so can imagine getting them through without would be hard work without damaging the bushings.

I’ll have a good look for them when I’m next in the shed. 
My dogs probably ate them though - they decided the box was a great place to sit…

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 06/11/2021 at 10:19, Woodworks said:

Thanks all for your help. I would have probably bought a smaller mill if it wasn't for the advice on here. 

The die is cast and the HM130Max it is.

If I buy a Logosol B1001 in the next year or two you can all take the piss 😀

Good choice 

The guides were in with the fixings (I just didn’t look hard enough!) - once fitted it was easy to knock the posts through.

9A656B84-8EE0-4F46-B686-8AF6E6DE8F55.thumb.jpeg.8c662783ae9d1bad3e81a014f2c08f1f.jpeg

I’m really impressed with the ‘feel’ of the quality of components and attention to detail of this kit - every last nut, bolt and washer is there, and the assembly instructions are extremely clear. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

back on the question of acuracy and the hm126, sharp band correct tension and right feed speed, I can take a full width cut at less than a 1/16" with very little, if any deviation, its a nice party trick, but not a lot of use, I regularly cut 6mm-10mm for interior type cladding, especially in exotic or fancy figured timber.....wany edged board and baton is catching on, especially in the "man shed" as to any other mill and acuracy......its all in the time spent in the setup, and operator experience, theres no substitute for time cutting, you learn every little noise change and funny vibration...decide on your market , and pick your size to maximise your throughput,  buying again, would I go bigger, no, except for the 14hp engine option, that one yes, you can never have enough , oh, and actuall bed length.......somebody always wants a longer beam, or post, or something, you cant win

• Like 2

1 hour ago, agrimog said:

back on the question of acuracy and the hm126, sharp band correct tension and right feed speed, I can take a full width cut at less than a 1/16" with very little, if any deviation, its a nice party trick, but not a lot of use, I regularly cut 6mm-10mm for interior type cladding, especially in exotic or fancy figured timber.....wany edged board and baton is catching on, especially in the "man shed" as to any other mill and acuracy......its all in the time spent in the setup, and operator experience, theres no substitute for time cutting, you learn every little noise change and funny vibration...decide on your market , and pick your size to maximise your throughput,  buying again, would I go bigger, no, except for the 14hp engine option, that one yes, you can never have enough , oh, and actuall bed length.......somebody always wants a longer beam, or post, or something, you cant win

Spot on musch just knowing how to setup and operate your saw.