Insurance issue

Dawsie

Hoping that Mods will allow this post here rather than the insurance forum as I imagine more people may see it and offer advice.

We had our vehicle broken into overnight while working away in Lincoln recently, (chainsaws, brush cutters, pole saws, helmets, climbing gear, basically everything.

We are insured with Aborisk and have been for over 12 years and have never had to make a claim.

We have just been informed by them that we are in breach of our policy because “vehicle was not kept in a locked building overnight”.

We literally work all over the country and just finding affordable/available accommodation is hard enough without stipulating the requirement for a locked garage.

Bearing in mind that this is a commercial policy and the nature of the work we do nationwide, this policy is clearly not fit for our purposes, we feel really let down by Arborisk, particularly when over the years we have tweaked/amended the policy with there advice, never once did they advise us that while working away our vehicle must be kept in a locked building overnight.

Yes, of course it’s our responsibility to read the policy wording (wonder how many actually do?).

Anyway, let this be a warning to you out there who work away from home and don’t keep there vehicle in a locked building overnight.

Having said that, anyone have a policy that covers there tools in a locked/alarmed vehicle overnight albeit parked on a gated private driveway?

I would be very interested to read your thoughts please as our policy is up for renewal next month (out of principal, we certainly WONT be using Aborisk again).

Thanks for reading.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Really sorry to hear this.

Unfortunately Insurance companies are there for 2 reasons.

Legal Requirements

Making their share holders happy.

It seems to be the first thing an insurance company will do is find a way to get out of the payment.

• Like 8

Sorry again to read this ....Wankers mate ... from the thieves to the insurance company's .... last time I was turned over they put my claim under investigation as they said it was that secure and the levels I had gone too they thought it was an inside job and they would not pay out... , they did after 3 months but where in the mean time are you going to find the money to replace all saws , climbing and rigging kits and a chipper to keep you working , can't win [emoji35]

• Like 7

I am aware of shortcomings in my Arb insurance. For example my tracked chipper is not insure on a job if out of visual site without the fitting of a track clamp - really!

I am currently looking at generic commercial insurance without the Arb limitations as I feel we are being unfairly targeted 🙁

• Like 3

Hoping that Mods will allow this post here rather than the insurance forum as I imagine more people may see it and offer advice.   We had our vehicle broken into overnight while working away in Lincoln recently, (chainsaws, brush cutters, pole saws, helmets, climbing gear, basically everything.

We are insured with Aborisk and have been for over 12 years and have never had to make a claim.

We have just been informed by them that we are in breach of our policy because “vehicle was not kept in a locked building overnight”.

We literally work all over the country and just finding affordable/available accommodation is hard enough without stipulating the requirement for a locked garage.

Bearing in mind that this is a commercial policy and the nature of the work we do nationwide, this policy is clearly not fit for our purposes, we feel really let down by Arborisk, particularly when over the years we have tweaked/amended the policy with there advice, never once did they advise us that while working away our vehicle must be kept in a locked building overnight.

Yes, of course it’s our responsibility to read the policy wording (wonder how many actually do?).

Anyway, let this be a warning to you out there who work away from home and don’t keep there vehicle in a locked building overnight.

Having said that, anyone have a policy that covers there tools in a locked/alarmed vehicle overnight albeit parked on a gated private driveway?

I would be very interested to read your thoughts please as our policy is up for renewal next month (out of principal, we certainly WONT be using Aborisk again).

Thanks for reading.

Bit of a wake up call for any vehicle that’s occasionally used away from home but stated on policy “as kept in garage overnight”

Sounds like my motorcycles wouldn’t be insured for theft unless taken from my locked garage.[emoji848]

Sorry to hear of your predicament, but if no satisfaction would personally raise a claim against your insurer through the small claims court. A cheap enough lever to seek redress, and small beer if unsuccessful.[emoji1303]

Edit:

Raising a claim through that impartial third party, - along with the negativity, might just make them reconsider your genuine claim without having to actually appear and represent yourself.

• Like 2

As an aside, you can always request transcripts of your conversations with your insurer. Over 12 years of taking insurance with this company it would stand to reason that they’d have an understanding of your business and it’s requirement of business travel out with of your premises. A few transcripts backing up your argument will show a court you’re being screwed over by a company unwilling to honour its obligations.

And if you haven’t the confidence to try a small claims court, I’ve personally twice had satisfaction through an Ombudsman ruling. That’s done remotely and they’ll insist that the insurer releases those historic transcripts.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Baldbloke said:

And if you haven’t the confidence to try a small claims court, I’ve personally twice had satisfaction through an Ombudsman ruling. That’s done remotely and they’ll insist that the insurer releases those historic transcripts.

Right-on! 

Don’t ever be afraid of engaging Small Claims court or ombudsman. 

They only EXIST to serve YOUR needs. 

Get into ‘em!

• Like 4