Can chainsaws be more safe?

pete_08

19 minutes ago, adw said:

You obviously have contempt for mandatory safety features on the saw from your remark, so I guess that goes for all the safety features on the saw, manufacturers and trainers can only do so much, if operators choose to ignore advice there is no more we can do.

Oh.  I see.

To Assume makes and Ass of U and Me.

No, my point was having a sticker or not, doesn’t make you a better handler of the saw.  It was a tongue in cheek comment, but I guess that was lost on you.

Having had a HSE inspector turn up on site on more than one occasion.  The only thing that they have found fault with was half of the sticker (on a well used, but perfectly functional MS 441 ) had been scratched off.  

Basically, a jobsworth who didn’t have anything else to do but moan about half a missing sticker.  

Is that how you would describe yourself?  As that is what is coming over from your reply.  

I could be wrong as I don’t know you, likewise you don’t know me, so again, don’t assume you do from a tongue in cheek comment.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, adw said:

You obviously have contempt for mandatory safety features on the saw from your remark, so I guess that goes for all the safety features on the saw, manufacturers and trainers can only do so much, if operators choose to ignore advice there is no more we can do.

The little sticker is all about compliance…. It has nothing to do with safety.

If I have a non-functional off switch, the saw is less safe.

If I have a non functioning chain brake, the saw is less safe.

If I have a missing chain catcher, the saw is less safe.  

A saw with a busted throttle interlatch is less safe,

But a saw with a missing little sticker is no more or less safe than a saw with a litttle sticker.  

Surely you can see the difference?

• Like 6

@adw

Well, please fill in the gaps.

It would be great to know.  Are you in the training side or the practical side or Arb?

Genuinely interested.  I am not hiding anything, the name I post under is my real name.  Not hard to look up.  

I personally believe that better training will make someone a better user.  Combined with experience and a heavy dose of awareness.

A sticker is a compliance issue.  Things get scratched loading into and out of the truck, just because it has partly been torn doesn’t mean the user suddenly becomes a useless operator and dangerous.  

Yet, if a chain break is so clogged with crap due to lack of maintenance and it doesn’t engage easily, that is and could be obviously seen as a dangerous situation.

Slightly different to a damaged sticker.

• Like 7

49 minutes ago, Mike Hill said:

Heated handles as an option on every saw would make them safer to use. 

I was accidentally sent a heated handle version saw from FR Jones about 10 years ago. The guys where taking the piss calling me a “big girls blouse”. It just so happened that it was -7 Celsius and then started to snow. At break they where desperately clapping and blowing on their hands in an attempt to warm them up to make a roll up. Had a heated handle version of every saw that I have purchased ever since.

22 hours ago, adw said:

Your right about one thing, you do not know me, or my experience.

I know both of you personally, got no issues with either of you or either of your experience in different parts of the same industry so please move on as there is already too much aggression and bad feeling on this site.

Save it for the few that have earnt it:2gunsfiring_v1::(9_9:thumbup:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1