Can chainsaws be more safe?

pete_08

4 minutes ago, bmp01 said:

It's an professional arborist website / forum, have your say, but no point getting embroiled with it, you can't win. 

This type of subject will always end up in the same place - for a reason,  there is no right or wrong answer. But as non-pro's you and I are guests here, best to roll with it.

BTW unusual user name, ABBS mod?

I agree entirely.

And yes, I'm a mod on said shooting forum.

Some DIY ' ERS are better than some so called pro' s, tickets give you no protection, gray matter inside the scull does, any thikets give protection to employers pocket thats it, and its absolutely normal. I khnow 3 incedent, with chainsaw all useres was ticketed and experienced , and only one without(he was drunk during operation, and it was me,chainsaw trousers saved my leg). 

Edited by Sviatoslav Tulin

1 hour ago, peatff said:

Best way to keep them safe is leave the bar cover on and don't pull the string, that's where all the problems start. Being a DIY f***wit myself at 69 years old and never had an accident with a chainsaw I think myself very lucky. I do have and wear the PPE and although I never had formal training I was shown as a youth how to handle saws and have followed the instructions I was given.

I kind of agree with you except that you aren't "lucky", your smart and sensible. Your safety should have nothing to do with "luck".

1 hour ago, bmp01 said:

It's an professional arborist website / forum, have your say, but no point getting embroiled with it, you can't win. 

This type of subject will always end up in the same place - for a reason,  there is no right or wrong answer. But as non-pro's you and I are guests here, best to roll with it.

BTW unusual user name, ABBS mod?

That’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever read on the entire internet!
This place is predominantly populated by trolls and thieves! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

i have to agree to the overall sentiment, that the data is flawed, it doesn't drill down deep enough to be of use. they don't say diy or pro, and pro shouldn't be 10 years experience of picking up a saw a couple of times a year, were they wearing PPE , had they done a course or update in the last 5 years, of the few chainsaw accidents I've seen in the last 40 years all were user error. you can never engineer out the ingenuity of stupid  

Your insurance premiums going up is SFA to do with DIYers. It's everything to do with what you do being dangerous and every industry sectors premiums also going up. Insurance ratings for your industry will not be effected by DIY accidents.

I still don't see the need to be rude and insulting.

It's not dangerous if you follow hse guidelines and have had the correct training then good mentorship once completed to get you up to scratch and stick to it.
Accidents should not happen or be happening.
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

That dont supprise me one little bit with that figure, you want to get on a page called Stihl chainsaw fans on FB and see what the bell ends over there film and write and post publicly, 10 bottles of Bud and a few joints and then out with the ported 880 to cut some firewood, with flip flops n shorts on,  

Esp when the Saw has an higher IQ than operative!

• Haha 1

that the data is flawed, it doesn't drill down deep enough to be of use

I reckon the locations of the injuries would still be   similar if the data was  from 2021 & uk

Relevant to all chainsaw users regardless of PPE?

Head neck  : kickback zone injuries

Leg feet ones = chain brake should be on when walking  as some no dobt caused by trips, or  very  clumsy snedding awarkward stuff etc

Left hand ones =More unsure about thoose ,wonder is mostly from  using toppers? more detaill would be useful

Are chain throw injuries a common thing?

2 hours ago, monkeybusiness said:

That’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever read on the entire internet!
This place is predominantly populated by trolls and thieves! 

You've read the entire Internet ? Respect..... 😀😀

The chain brake on a properly maintained saw already does a good job and when using a sharp forestry chain will come on several times a day during normal felling & processing. I could see the value in having an accelerometer that looks for the activation of the chainbrake and if not defeats the ignition.

In commercial softwood harvesting it is absolutely usual for saws to be flicked all over the place and absolutely safely, it would be unhelpful to slow down professional users to give extra protection to fools.

• Like 4