Can chainsaws be more safe?

pete_08

That chart is USA injuries from a long time back and USA saw use is totally different to UK as UK use is far safer with less injuries plus much on that chart is from not wearing PPE as if wore leggings wouldn't have the lower injuries.

Plus so many of theres is Home plonker use and when you see some/lot's of what they get up to you soon understand.

So comparing that chart from 94 and USA V UK is like comparing flying around Europe in 1940's to flying now.

But better PPE is that is easier to get on/properly designed/Fits well Along with cooler on a hot day so don't have brain death in the heat! with gear shaped to work in not like going for a Sunday roast so have room to be able to climb up/over things/swing round and not feel like one of those pre war divers with lead boots as nothing saps your concentration better that trying to keep cool/dragging heavyweight togs on you for a day plus it slows reactions.

But if there was a statistics chart would guarantee would be 1 Pro user ie trained to 100 plus Noddies!

Saws get picked on as make a noise and Dangerous do read/see stats on Hand saws.Hedge trimmers.Circular saws.Angle grinders.Paddies Motor Cycles.Drills and so much more implements!

Remember years back there was a mass Hey Hoo on PTO shafts due to injuries and deaths one was making sure outer sleeve turned/Stayed still from inner shaft and covered ends with clips!

Was at Writtle Agricultural College doing a course on tractors and implements they had all new shafts fitted to there kit!

H&S was hollering and hooting & many places had their rear ends fisted!

But anything to do with Machinery is Dangerous you lessen risks by being mindful and being aware of your actions.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pete_08 said:

something like 28,000 chainsaw related injuries in America last year.

That dont supprise me one little bit with that figure, you want to get on a page called Stihl chainsaw fans on FB and see what the bell ends over there film and write and post publicly, 10 bottles of Bud and a few joints and then out with the ported 880 to cut some firewood, with flip flops n shorts on,  

Edited by spuddog0507
spelling
  • Like 1

"Dumbing them down just so some amateur ****************wit cheapskate weekend warriors don’t cut themselves isn’t very high on my priority list." 

"DIY ****************wits." 

Is it necessary to be so disrespectful? 

I personally joined up on here to learn from the experts and have done a great deal. 

I've been using saws, for over twenty years as a ****************wit. My PPE is professional quality.

Despite trying many times to get on a course at a cost that represents reasonable value, I have found zero availability in reasonable travelling time. I have found providers that want £700 a day, which frankly doesn't represent good value to a weekend warrior. I have approached trainers to come to us, so that I can share the cost with a number of fellow ****************wits, none of which have ever followed up with their promise of "getting back to me". Perhaps profit is more attractive than the aim of the training? 

My son and wife wear the same standard of PPE as myself when working in proximity to me and none of us have any scars, whatsoever related to tree work. 

I get your drift, but really, do you need to be so rude to make a point? 

The original poster has asked a sensible question, perhaps have a stab at answering that instead of having a pop at the public would be more constructive. 

Personally, I'm all ears for a solution that makes a saw safer, which one of us is a ****************wit? 

• Haha 1

Would be good that any pro saw had to be programmed with a current and up to date NPTC qualification for the operator to use ... I would not feel so bad then about taking days off for refresher and thousands on new units that mean absolutely nothing to most customers , would mean only qualified operators could do the jobs too.

• Like 1

"Dumbing them down just so some amateur ****************wit cheapskate weekend warriors don’t cut themselves isn’t very high on my priority list." 

"DIY ****************wits." 

Is it necessary to be so disrespectful? 

I personally joined up on here to learn from the experts and have done a great deal. 

I've been using saws, for over twenty years as a ****************wit. My PPE is professional quality.

Despite trying many times to get on a course at a cost that represents reasonable value, I have found zero availability in reasonable travelling time. I have found providers that want £700 a day, which frankly doesn't represent good value to a weekend warrior. I have approached trainers to come to us, so that I can share the cost with a number of fellow ****************wits, none of which have ever followed up with their promise of "getting back to me". Perhaps profit is more attractive than the aim of the training? 

My son and wife wear the same standard of PPE as myself when working in proximity to me and none of us have any scars, whatsoever related to tree work. 

I get your drift, but really, do you need to be so rude to make a point? 

The original poster has asked a sensible question, perhaps have a stab at answering that instead of having a pop at the public would be more constructive. 

Personally, I'm all ears for a solution that makes a saw safer, which one of us is a ****************wit? 

Yeah I think it is when they are accounting for most of the injuries or fatality's , why our insurance premiums go up and why we are surrounded in so much legislation we have to roll with so we can then be undercut by a weekend warriors doing it for beer tokens and the firewood.
  • Thanks 2

Best way to keep them safe is leave the bar cover on and don't pull the string, that's where all the problems start. Being a DIY f***wit myself at 69 years old and never had an accident with a chainsaw I think myself very lucky. I do have and wear the PPE and although I never had formal training I was shown as a youth how to handle saws and have followed the instructions I was given.

• Like 7

37 minutes ago, MattyF said:

Yeah I think it is when they are accounting for most of the injuries or fatality's , why our insurance premiums go up and why we are surrounded in so much legislation we have to roll with so we can then be undercut by a weekend warriors doing it for beer tokens and the firewood.

Your insurance premiums going up is SFA to do with DIYers. It's everything to do with what you do being dangerous and every industry sectors premiums also going up. Insurance ratings for your industry will not be effected by DIY accidents.

I still don't see the need to be rude and insulting.

so the little American diagram posted before from 1994 I don't think applies here.

Think you are only half right as  dependent on the chain speed, the chainsaw may still go though the mostly class 1 trousers & boots  so still expect there are  the leg a foot injuries indicated in  that diagram even with correct PPE just less as its stopping or reducing severity of some of the injuries.

Edited by Stere

19 minutes ago, Unframed Dave said:

Your insurance premiums going up is SFA to do with DIYers. It's everything to do with what you do being dangerous and every industry sectors premiums also going up. Insurance ratings for your industry will not be effected by DIY accidents.

I still don't see the need to be rude and insulting.

It's an professional arborist website / forum, have your say, but no point getting embroiled with it, you can't win. 

This type of subject will always end up in the same place - for a reason,  there is no right or wrong answer. But as non-pro's you and I are guests here, best to roll with it.

BTW unusual user name, ABBS mod?

Edited by bmp01
Typo