Can chainsaws be more safe?

pete_08

48 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Ok cool. A fresh pair of eyes can sometimes see things from outside the box. But I fear that if the big guns in the industry has not found a solution yet there might not be one and we’ll continue to have Darwin Award contenders for some years yet. 

One bit of tech to look into is the Table Saw Attachment that can be retrofitted to just about any table saw and as soon as it senses contact with flesh is jambs the blade instantly without even breaking the skin. The blade and system is goosed and both need replaced but you get to keep your fingers. I suspect it’s activated by electrical current so might never cross over to ChainSaws but could be worth looking into. 

Yes I believe it essentially senses moisture. Which could be a disaster for the chainsaw. 
I do think your point on the big guns not figuring it out is very valid and something I fear before heading too deep into research on this. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pete_08 said:

Yes I believe it essentially senses moisture. Which could be a disaster for the chainsaw. 
I do think your point on the big guns not figuring it out is very valid and something I fear before heading too deep into research on this. 

I’ve not really looked into how it’s activated but green timber can hold an awful amount of moisture, you’d think that would set it off if that was the case. Keeping in mind the tests I seen did not even break the skin on a hotdog. 

1 minute ago, 5thelement said:

Every incident I know of involving people being cut by the saw are down to user error, work positioning or taking short cuts/risks, nothing to do with how slow the chain brake activated.

Yes I would say a very high percentage of injuries come down to human error. 

I’m suggesting a device that could even prevent injury against human error by detecting it and stopping the chain. 

The proper solution would be to have every chainsaw user fully trained in how to use a chainsaw but I believe people would be more likely to buy a device or a chainsaw with the device fitted to decrease their chances of injury rather than take a chainsaw course. 

Went on a course locally and the chap running it asked us to put a sticker with our name on it on the most dangerous part of a chainsaw, so we all put it on the chain. He told us to take them off and stick them on our forehead as we were much more dangerous!! 
It helped us all get on on the course that day and I’ve never forgotten that I’m responsible for my own safety.

• Like 9

I don’t think anyone is suggesting the Saw is at fault but potentially how to improve saw safety to better protect the user from him/herself. We have PPE and the brake for the very reason of protecting the user from himself so why not look into improving on the designs if it’s at all possible?

10 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

It’s a noble project Pete, but I don’t think it’s got legs.

I have a book I can lend you called ‘Chainsaw injuries that were the chainsaws fault’.

It will be cheap to post, it has no pages.

I would agree that most injuries are human error but that’s not to say nothing should to be done to help prevent those injuries. 

• Like 1

I think a chain brake is the most practical solution. Maybe improved chainsaw gear would be a better thing to look at rather than the saw?

The only better thing than the brake handle I can think of is sensors on your hands, shins and neck are that engage the brake electronically but I doubt that's practical.

Any braking system also has to balance the risk of it stopping during a felling cut 

2 minutes ago, pete_08 said:

I would agree that most injuries are human error but that’s not to say nothing should to be done to help prevent those injuries. 

Perhaps you should contact the HSE and discuss this idea with them, they gave FISA millions of pounds for doing sweet fook all.😉

• Haha 1