End of cut drop-off

Bob_z_l

Pinch marks of a chain are of no importance amd a mute point

99.99% of all slabs will be flattened one way another, by router sled, planer or hand plane.

Slight dip in the end of the board is also a mute point in my view. All boards will be cut and finished to the requirements of the purchaser. Loosing an inch or two again is insignificant in my view.

Edited by Big Beech
  • Like 1

Pinch marks of a chain are of no importance amd a mute point
99.99% of all slabs will be flattened one way another, by router sled, planer or hand plane.
Slight dip in the end of the board is also a mute point in my view. All boards will be cut and finished to the requirements of the purchaser. Loosing an inch or two again is insignificant in my view.

Good points but it would be good to know from the Op if we’re actually just talking about the last inch or two or an issue starting further back than that.

13 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

Good points but it would be good to know from the Op if we’re actually just talking about the last inch or two or an issue starting further back than that.

The roll off is within the last 6-8 inches. 

As I progress further down the log it gets exaggerated and is nearly a foot.

It doesn't' always happen and after all of your helpful comments I believe it is most probably me being over zealous with my wedges.

I am sorry that some feel it isn't a big issue. I felt that if the board  needs to be as perfect as it could be, so it would minimise the amount of planing and sanding to get the finished article. And Maximise the board length available. 

Cutting off the waste would mean a diminishing stack of boards....or wasting good board so I could maintain a standard length across the stack. If you get me?   Can't abide waste, which is why I try and re-cycle these lumps to boards. 

I'll hopefully get the chance this weekend to have another go at big lump of Cedar sat on the drive. 

Thanks to all for your positive insight.

Edited by Bob_z_l
  • Like 4