Milling 20 year dried Ash

trigger_andy

Finally got around to milling/re-sawing the Ash I bought over a year ago. Half for me, half for my Brother. We both plan on using the slabs as kitchen worktops.

Slabs where all around 90cm-110cm wide x 3.3m long. Was worried they would be rock hard and the mill/084 would not manage. Well, I’m glad to say it was a piece of cake. I also comfortably managed to mill all four slabs without a re-sharpen. This was with the STIHL 46RCX ripping chain.

f051b61a-c69c-45b0-93e2-906b6f81cc8e.jpg34f375a3-8052-4e92-bc4c-72c3471be692.jpg5d78b633-bd5e-4b7f-a787-6b0947059649.jpg9f8d55e0-247c-4dec-8cfc-12d3b89a537a.jpg

• Like 5

Nice chunks of wood.

My son made kitchen worktops the same way in his new build house. I think he put a resin coat on the top.

It was quite comical seeing the woodworm beetles burrowing out through the resin once the wood warmed up.

He was hoovering them up daily and didn't find it at all comical.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Peasgood said:

Nice chunks of wood.

My son made kitchen worktops the same way in his new build house. I think he put a resin coat on the top.

It was quite comical seeing the woodworm beetles burrowing out through the resin once the wood warmed up.

He was hoovering them up daily and didn't find it at all comical.

These seem to be woodworm free and I hope they stay that way!

My brother will get his cut to size later this week. I’m at least a year away from that.