Qualification Info on Chainsaw mill

Gadgetman24

Hi everyone,

Can someone help by letting me know if i require a specific qualification for the following:

1. Bandsaw Mill eg. woodmizer.

2. Chainsaw portable mill eg. gransberg.

3. Chainsaw mill eg. logosol f2+.

4. chainsaw attachments eg. eder caver or planner attachment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

32 minutes ago, Gadgetman24 said:

Hi everyone,

Can someone help by letting me know if i require a specific qualification for the following:

1. Bandsaw Mill eg. woodmizer.

2. Chainsaw portable mill eg. gransberg.

3. Chainsaw mill eg. logosol f2+.

4. chainsaw attachments eg. eder caver or planner attachment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

No you do not need any qualifications to use any of the above. I do suggest you try and spend some time with an experienced operator if you have never used them before.

Are you using them for work? If you're at home, crack on and do whatever you like. If at work then Puwer puts an onus on you (and your employer if applicable) to have received adequate training but doesn't say what the training should be.

I would have thought it's difficult to argue that you don't need the basic chainsaw ticket to use a chainsaw mill, as far as I know there is no specific training course for milling anyway.

So I'd say CS30/31 modern equivalent.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

Are you using them for work? If you're at home, crack on and do whatever you like. If at work then Puwer puts an onus on you (and your employer if applicable) to have received adequate training but doesn't say what the training should be.

I would have thought it's difficult to argue that you don't need the basic chainsaw ticket to use a chainsaw mill, as far as I know there is no specific training course for milling anyway.

So I'd say CS30/31 modern equivalent.

I’ll argue. What bit of chainsaw milling pertains to using one in the conventional manner? It’s totally different. 

just crack on. 

I’ll argue. What bit of chainsaw milling pertains to using one in the conventional manner? It’s totally different. 

just crack on. 

Very rarely do I just sit an Alaskan on a log and mill away without first using a Chainsaw in a conventional way. Even if you don’t need to use a chainsaw prior to Milling you really should have a good grasp of how to use a Chainsaw before you throw what will most likely be 90cc plus Saw on a log.
  • Like 2

just crack on. 
I should probably have written CS30, so basics of running a saw - cross cutting wood, sharpening, bar maintenance, saw safety features, PPE requirements, etc. Felling being CS31 less relevant.

Also as Andy said you're going to cut something out of the mill at some point.

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses. I am a tree surgeon so have all the relevant chainsaw tickets. Just wondered if there was anything specific out there i didn't know about. i contacted wood-mizer and they do provide a days training after buying one of their saw for £480 but said it was not a legal requirement and they didn't know of any qualifications out there.

I will just crack on and if the gentlemen in question kicks up a fuss i will just ask him what qualification he has to operate the mill he uses onsite and see what answer he gives.

3 minutes ago, Gadgetman24 said:

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses. I am a tree surgeon so have all the relevant chainsaw tickets. Just wondered if there was anything specific out there i didn't know about. i contacted wood-mizer and they do provide a days training after buying one of their saw for £480 but said it was not a legal requirement and they didn't know of any qualifications out there.

I will just crack on and if the gentlemen in question kicks up a fuss i will just ask him what qualification he has to operate the mill he uses onsite and see what answer he gives.

Tell him to bugger off and mind his own business.

• Like 1