High Hedges - killed if cut to actional hedge height?

benedmonds

On 26/10/2021 at 09:50, benedmonds said:

I have a vague memory, but can't recall. Can an actional hedge height be applied if it is going to result in the death of the hedge? Am I imagining this?

For sure, looks dreadful and obviously a hassle for the neighbours and a ‘challenging’ customer, but the question wasn’t about any of those elements, it was about potentially challenging the validity of the notice. 

• Like 1

On 27/10/2021 at 12:14, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

For sure, looks dreadful and obviously a hassle for the neighbours and a ‘challenging’ customer, but the question wasn’t about any of those elements, it was about potentially challenging the validity of the notice. 

Since when has the op or question made a difference to people's posts..😃 Your post confirmed my recollection. Cheers.

I wrote her a report 2 years ago saying they should be felled. 

But I spent 35 mins on the phone to her today, ending up with her in tears about the  thought of them being killed..

Edited by benedmonds

9 minutes ago, benedmonds said:

Since when has the op or question made a difference to people's posts..😃 Your post confirmed my recollection. Cheers.

But I spent 35 mins on the phone to her today, ending up with her in tears about the  thought of them being killed..

Nobody ever told me 30% of the job was actually some kind of counsellor / social worker / negotiator / referee. 

Rarely any sensible money in those kind of situations - but there is a peculiar sense of satisfaction if it can be resolved. 

Fair play though.... I’m probably amongst the worst at flying off at a tangent on any given subject here 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, benedmonds said:

How much did you charge her for those 35 minutes?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AHPP said:

How much did you charge her for those 35 minutes?

I was driving so pretty dead time.. I am also a mug when it comes to old people and their sob stories.  Had an old guy a few months back who hadn't paid his £1,600 invoice, after 30 minutes listening to his wowes and how he had loved the trees (more neglected conifers) and it was his neighbour who wanted them out and he had had to buy a new boiler and could not afford it etc, etc.... He ended up giving me a cheque for £700 and I still felt like I had robbed him.. But still not sure I wasn't played..

I can not understand how some people are willing to rip off old folk, I don't know how they could sleep at night, knowing the distress they cause.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Nobody ever told me 30% of the job was actually some kind of counsellor / social worker / negotiator / referee. 

Rarely any sensible money in those kind of situations - but there is a peculiar sense of satisfaction if it can be resolved. 

2 minutes ago, benedmonds said:

I can not understand how some people are willing to rip off old folk, I don't know how they could sleep at night, knowing the distress they cause.

I found these two entries very refreshing. Know exactly what you mean. We did a job a few weeks ago dealing with some tall hedges, charging £500 + VAT, which turned out to be spot on for our hourly rates. Customer had been quoted £2,000 by one of the local scumbags. Needless to say she was elderly and alone.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, benedmonds said:

Kevin is right up to a point. The law (E&W) says a Notice cannot require removal below 2m and this has been interpreted as not allowing action that will kill the hedge and therefore indirectly result in less than 2m. Personally I think that is a load of bollocks, but it seems to be embedded in practice now since one of the very earliet appeals. It is a matter of interpretation, not a matter of law. Again, personally, I am convinced it would not stand up in court, but then who has £7,000 to raise a judicial review against and Inspector's decision?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, daltontrees said:

Kevin is right up to a point. The law (E&W) says a Notice cannot require removal below 2m and this has been interpreted as not allowing action that will kill the hedge and therefore indirectly result in less than 2m. Personally I think that is a load of bollocks, but it seems to be embedded in practice now since one of the very earliet appeals. It is a matter of interpretation, not a matter of law. Again, personally, I am convinced it would not stand up in court, but then who has £7,000 to raise a judicial review against and Inspector's decision?

Wasn’t “my” input Jules, I just cut & paste from “the book” 😂

Was hoping you’d drop in with a sanity check 👍🏻👍🏻