IS IT WORTH IT!!!

Nathan1992

Yes it's worth it if the rest of the saw is pristine. 

No its not worth it if the saw looks like it's had a hard life and is likely to be a dog, no matter what you're told. 

My point is we know nothing about its condition, how do we judge it ?

You've got to gauge the saws condition from scratch,  the seller's capabity to mend it (maybe they are hopeless) and their honesty with what they've told you so far.

If you're not handy with spanners and not prepared to spend a chunk of money on it, the deal is a punt at best. 

Edited by bmp01

Ms 200 t was a great saw. They stopped making them quite a few years ago now. I think you'll be lucky to find one in good condition.  A lot of arborists (myself included) kept hold of them and ran them into the ground. I loved mine. You're probably being offered something like this. They are not a home owners saw, and will have been used and used....    

30 minutes ago, dan blocker said:

If all the bits look intact It’s got to be £130 in parts alone as there’s plenty of blokes about still running them. I’d go for it. Make them an offer. You might even get it running correctly and be able to use it.

I'm hoping to get it going 100% so I can use it in the tree as a back up for my electric for when it comes to bigger stuff 

1 hour ago, Con said:

Ms 200 t was a great saw. They stopped making them quite a few years ago now. I think you'll be lucky to find one in good condition.  A lot of arborists (myself included) kept hold of them and ran them into the ground. I loved mine. You're probably being offered something like this. They are not a home owners saw, and will have been used and used....    

I prefere the older saws to the newer ones with all the computers in all I see are issues that can't be fixed without plugging it in and running a program 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nathan1992 said:

I prefere the older saws to the newer ones with all the computers in all I see are issues that can't be fixed without plugging it in and running a program 

I agree. Go for it, then. Still parts available.  Just keep a check on how much it's costing you. 

I'd even say, use pattern parts for some bits.  If it's a wrongun,  I might be interested.  I've got one sat there with a crack in the casing around the oil tank. Otherwise, a good saw