Artic load softwood/hardwood Northern Ireland

Casso

Hi all was wondering if you could possibly  pass on some companies in Northern Ireland/ Republic of Ireland that would deliver Artic loads of cordwood for processing so I can get an idea of who to contact.

I’ve bought a new place with a yard and outsheds and I’m looking to

start a firewood business on the side. It is more of a hobby to fuel the home and looking to make a bit on the side out of it. 

What kind of money am I looking at in these crazy times of price hiking for artic soft/hardwood delivered. 

Also what kind of demand is there for softwood? Personally I like the way spruce dries so fast but it does burn a little fast and needs to be a nice size. Or is wood burners your only target if selling softwood. 

Would love if some of you in the business would shed some light on the above in these current times. 

I'd say there is zero demand commercially for processed softwood in NI. We sell small quantities of firewood as a by product of our tree service business. For processed firewood customers only want hardwood. A few customers will take trailer loads of softwood coming direct off a job, at a very cheap rate, to process themselves. 

I do know guys that sell mixed loads successfully but they would be in more rural areas. In and around Belfast, it seems to be only hardwood in demand, with 'kiln dried' being the buzz word. Spoke to many customers who will only buy kiln dried hardwood and the prices they pay are staggering. Many believe you can't burn softwood in stoves. Uneducated punters unfortunately.

Edited by Bloom
  • Like 1

I gnash my gums in impotent fury, knowing how well and how hot Sitka or Lodgepole burns in a stove, (based on previous experience with burning Birch exclusively, in the same stoves ), and having the potential to sell the Conifer.

But the punters rather pay stupid prices  for sketchily filled "1 tonne" but actually 0.65m3 dumpy bags filled with wet Poplar and Willow jumbled in

Cos, hey they bes that guid burning hardwood.

And I also presume softwood/conifer is very expensive to buy by the artic load, since "they" were bidding plumb stupid prices for standing, or even windthrown  timber. Something to do with a logjam in the Government run paperwork application for felling permissions in the RoI. At least this was the case a while ago, O.K. on reflection, a 12month ago.

good luck.

marcus

Edited by difflock