Laurel Hedge

parkgate

We have recently had our 3 m high Laurel Hedge cut.

Prior to cutting it was a beautiful thick hedge with glossy leaves - after cutting large gaps have appeared (please see the photograph attached) so we can see through to the house next door.

I am hoping the gaps will fill in when the spring growth starts?

Could anybody please confirm that this is likely to be the case!

Kind Regards

Laurel 1.jpg

Laurel 2.jpg

Laurel is resilient, it will regrow. Best to give it a feed in the spring if it looks like it's not performing too well. Personally I wouldn't be concerned as there seems to be sufficient leaf cover remaining, although a couple of photos showing more of the hedge would help. 

Shape has a lot to do with the long term health of a hedge, it should ideally be narrower at the top than the bottom. Trimming twice a year helps keep it thicker too.

It might be worth considering a trim in late spring and early autumn, this will help thicken the hedge and allow for a little regrowth before winter sets in which will help cover any gaps which can open up after trimming.

• Thanks 1

It depends, if the gaps are due to the trimming, ie the reduction in width of the hedge.

If that is the case I wouldn’t worry a jot or bother with feeding. It’ll come back strong in the spring.

If the holes appeared in the weeks afterwards due to defoliation it’s a different matter all together.

• Thanks 1

Mick,

Thank You.

The comment you make:-

“If the holes appeared in the weeks afterwards due to defoliation it’s a different matter all together”

Slightly worries me as I feel the holes are getting bigger.

The Trees are about 50 years old - could they possibly be diseased?

Regards,

3 hours ago, parkgate said:

Mick,

Thank You.

The comment you make:-

“If the holes appeared in the weeks afterwards due to defoliation it’s a different matter all together”

Slightly worries me as I feel the holes are getting bigger.

The Trees are about 50 years old - could they possibly be diseased?

Regards,

Get some better photos up.

It's a hard task to kill a laurel but it is worth giving them a helping hand like any hedge. Try some rotten horse manure. It has worked well on some privet hedges that have looked a bit weak but I think stubby might be spot on. 

I've hacked plenty of laurels to within an inch of their lives but they always come back.

• Like 1