Laurel Hedge

parkgate

Short of weedkillering or physically digging it out I'm not sure how you could kill off a laurel hedge. It'll always come back no matter how hard it's cut. Any gaps left after trimming will rapidly refill, in months normally. Though the only caveat is light. If the area is in deep shade it may not refill properly.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, sime42 said:

Short of weedkillering or physically digging it out I'm not sure how you could kill off a laurel hedge. It'll always come back no matter how hard it's cut. Any gaps left after trimming will rapidly refill, in months normally. ThNoough the only caveat is light. If the area is in deep shade it may not refill properly.

Cat piss will kill it.

11 hours ago, Mesterh said:

Note to OP.

Don't buy a bucket of cat piss and fertilize your laurels with it or petrol for that matter.

Who the fck does research on cat piss and laurel mortality?

Talking like a dick again.One of my laurel hedges died as 3 cat's kept pissing on them.

Doesn't strike me as defoliation, plants seem healthy and I can't see any bare stems from leaf loss or yellowing /diseased leaves. I am curious if the other side has been cut back harder than the one pictured,

I'd agree not to feed unless it looks to be struggling in the spring, which I doubt it will. 

I have seen laurel hedges in areas of poor soil struggle after hard cutting, they can come back looking somewhat anemic. (Often they are already rather yellow looking to begin with, this example isn't, from what we can see, but better photos would help) In situations like this an application of good quality compost or slow release fertiliser like osmocote can revitalise the hedge.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, topchippyles said:

Talking like a dick again.One of my laurel hedges died as 3 cat's kept pissing on them.

Ha. Fair enough.

I don't think it's a very common occurrence though. I don't think I have ever had to remove a dead laurel and my mum and dad's cats unfortunately havent managed to do any damage to the laurel hedge I have to hack back every fookin year.

Cat piss will kill it.

Correlation does not always imply causation 😏

Laurel often you get 4 metre plus wide hedge and an owner  in blissful ignorance thats is gotten that wide as its happened gradually and the don't see the view of the the top as never trimmed the bugger.

Then they probably complain if the sides are bare if you try & slim it down a more manageble width..

• Like 1