Advice on new 661

muttley9050

1 hour ago, Dan Maynard said:

I run ultra, after working out it mixes with 250 litres of fuel and what that costs, the percentage increase on 255 litres of fuel isn't so bad. Also, that does a lot of trees for me.

I have heard it said theres a fuel stabiliser in there - hard to find any details though. Is it just shelf life, or does it do anything to ethanol? It has an E25 symbol on the pot, what does this mean?

Thinking maybe as a dealer you get a bit more info?

The E25 means it's safe to use it up to 25% ethanol as their M-tronic machines can. As far as I'm aware the stabiliser is to slow down the rate of deterioration of the fuel and parts, but Stihl don't recommend fuel older than 30 days 

• Like 1

HP Super of Husqvarna Low Smoke, both semi synthetic and suitable for Autotune engines or fully synthetic if you have the £££.
The Autotune means the saw uses less fuel i.e. less oil so using a good oil is more important as less oil means bearings and cylinder get more of a hammering.
Running in - flat out but for short runs. You need to make the most of the roughness of the bore and cylinder to bed them together quickly but this generates heat hence 1-2' rings 2 or three then cool rather than long felling cuts with a 4' bar.
Thanks. How long do you think I should carry that out for.?

5-10 tanks and extend the cutting time if needed after the first five.

If it is impractical to do this make sure you don't over do it for the first two tanks as the roughness of the piston and bore will lessen pretty quickly and with that, the heat build up will lessen. 

The important bit is flat out running from the start, no leaving it on idle and no excessively long cuts.

On 20/10/2021 at 22:53, Haironyourchest said:

Run HP Ultra. And never worry again.

Super is more than sufficient.  I asked stihl uk's head tech if he reckoned the ultra was with it and he said that all their machines are still compatible with red, super is better, but the difference in cylinders tested on super vs ultra were fairly negligible.

Funnily my echo 2511 runs ace on super but shite on ultra

On 21/10/2021 at 18:19, muttley9050 said:

Ok. Saw ordered. Collecting in the morning. Wouldn't mind a couple more opinions on green vs red oil? Just I have about 4l of red in stock.
Cheers guys and thx for the comments so far.

Read above. Technically your 661 should be okay in red, but if you're buying a grands worth of saw there's no point being tight on oil. Buy 5l of super and it's cheap peace of mind.

Re: bedding in, check the manual for a procedure, if there is none then just put it straight to work. Don't listen to some eejit claiming to run it on 40:1 for the first tank, or to only use half throttle, or to let it idle for a few tanks.  

• Like 1