Advice on new 661

muttley9050

After being astounded by the price that tatty old 660s are making im biting the bullet and ordering a new 661 with 36" bar.

A place in the next town from me is showing stock on line at a good price so will call them in the morning to confirm and place the order.

Couple of questions if you would be so kind. Currently run all my saws on red oil. Is it imperative I switch to green or is red ok?

What's the favoured running in method on such a big saw?.

Cheers for the help.

James

IMHO I'd use the super oil. It leaves a lower ash residue on the piston which can't be bad, and it's only a couple of quid more when you buy a litre. You could go for the ultra full synthetic, but it's expensive. It also has a fuel stabiliser in and gives even less ash content 

I’ve had a 661 since 2014 that has done a lot of work, it’s been ran on whatever oil happened to be in the van ( but always stihl or husqvarna).

it has never given a minute,s trouble and usually fires on the second pull from cold.

I don’t know of any running in rituals it I do remember it got more powerful after a dozen fills or so.

IMHO I'd use the super oil. It leaves a lower ash residue on the piston which can't be bad, and it's only a couple of quid more when you buy a litre. You could go for the ultra full synthetic, but it's expensive. It also has a fuel stabiliser in and gives even less ash content 
I run ultra, after working out it mixes with 250 litres of fuel and what that costs, the percentage increase on 255 litres of fuel isn't so bad. Also, that does a lot of trees for me.

I have heard it said theres a fuel stabiliser in there - hard to find any details though. Is it just shelf life, or does it do anything to ethanol? It has an E25 symbol on the pot, what does this mean?

Thinking maybe as a dealer you get a bit more info?

HP Super of Husqvarna Low Smoke, both semi synthetic and suitable for Autotune engines or fully synthetic if you have the £££.

The Autotune means the saw uses less fuel i.e. less oil so using a good oil is more important as less oil means bearings and cylinder get more of a hammering.

Running in - flat out but for short runs. You need to make the most of the roughness of the bore and cylinder to bed them together quickly but this generates heat hence 1-2' rings 2 or three then cool rather than long felling cuts with a 4' bar.

• Like 2