How much air in loads of logs ??

cessna

11 minutes ago, Chalgravesteve said:

Unless your loose (or tightly stacked) logs are all certified under 20% moisture, you can't use your pickup truck anyway as you need to be selling in a volume greater than 2m cubed........

Lights blue touchpaper and stands well back.........

The 2m3 rule for small suppliers doesn't come into effect until next year but it did for the larger suppliers in May of this year.  If logs are stacked in a pickup with a load area of 1.6m3 instead of a loose/bulk loaded then it would be equal to >2m3 load loose/bulk.

On 20/10/2021 at 09:01, Stere said:

For the 12" logs (33cm logs):

For air volume 1.6m loose is 40% solid wood 60% air

1.6 X 0.6

= 0.96 m3 of air

😊 Think thats right % calcs confuse me      

image.png.59dcf4121cf5763a9c22b1c66da4a617.png

I must be thick, or perhaps my brain is loose stacked!   Surely the vertical columns are the wrong way round and that in the top line "Solid m3"  and "Loose m3"  need to be reversed??

On 01/11/2021 at 07:11, Billhook said:

I must be thick, or perhaps my brain is loose stacked!   Surely the vertical columns are the wrong way round and that in the top line "Solid m3"  and "Loose m3"  need to be reversed??

How it is set out is correct, just read each line from left to right.  These conversion factors however are only for guidance, in practice they may or may not be attainable because of the variable nature of products.

7 hours ago, Vedhoggar said:

How it is set out is correct, just read each line from left to right.  These conversion factors however are only for guidance, in practice they may or may not be attainable because of the variable nature of products.

I see now, but I do not find it very intuitive.  I was thinking weight rather than volume.

On 19/10/2021 at 23:02, Haironyourchest said:

Also, are we talking about air between the logs? Or air incorporated in the molecular structure of the wood itself? Or both?  If it's air between, I would place the logs in a cage and forcibly submerse them in a known volume of water. The water level will then rise, and thus the volume of the logs themselves can he extrapolated. Now subtract this figure from the approximate volume of the stacked logs (1.6 cubic meters) and you have the air volume.

I was toying with doing this with my billet bundles, forcibly submersing in an old water tank, then measuring the displaced volume. Out of pure curiosity.

Haint got round to it yet mind.

Another way you could do it is weigh a cubic meter of logs, as prepped for sale. Then establish the weight of a 10cm x 10cm cube if the same wood. Average of several samples. Then from this you can extrapolate the weight of a solid cubic meter of that wood. Then subtract the first figure from this and you have the difference in wight from solid to stacked. What you can do with this, I don't know....

On 19/10/2021 at 22:44, cessna said:

A difficult question to answer ,but if my pickup truck holds approximately  1.6cu mtr of loose logs , how much air is in a load of  8",9",10" or 12" long logs?  Another words ,how many  "cu mtrs" would there be  when stacked . Any approximate  amounts appreciated.      

.48 cm air  1.12 mtrs logs stacked app

Edited by Essexlogman
adition