How much air in loads of logs ??

cessna

A difficult question to answer ,but if my pickup truck holds approximately  1.6cu mtr of loose logs , how much air is in a load of  8",9",10" or 12" long logs?  Another words ,how many  "cu mtrs" would there be  when stacked . Any approximate  amounts appreciated.      

Also, are we talking about air between the logs? Or air incorporated in the molecular structure of the wood itself? Or both?  If it's air between, I would place the logs in a cage and forcibly submerse them in a known volume of water. The water level will then rise, and thus the volume of the logs themselves can he extrapolated. Now subtract this figure from the approximate volume of the stacked logs (1.6 cubic meters) and you have the air volume.

• Like 3

I reckon a heap of 10inch lose logs shrinks by about 25% when stacked, so you load of 1.6 cube would be about 1.2 cube. 

the bigger the logs the more air space and the more he heap will shrink by. We have proven over time that it takes less wood to fill a truck with 12 inch logs over 8 inch.

All this is based on observation not science!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cessna said:

A difficult question to answer ,but if my pickup truck holds approximately  1.6cu mtr of loose logs , how much air is in a load of  8",9",10" or 12" long logs?  Another words ,how many  "cu mtrs" would there be  when stacked . Any approximate  amounts appreciated.      

If you work on your 1.6m3 pickup filled with loose logs 12” long stacked = about 1m3, with shorter logs there’s less airspace’s so a bit more, it’s never going to be precise as it depends on the straightness of the log as well as length. If advising a customer you could say your load what ever log length should stack to >m3. You can always fill m3 up with loose logs of each size mentioned if you have the time then stack them and see what you get but it will probably be around 0.67m3 or a bit more but not less.

A difficult question to answer ,but if my pickup truck holds approximately  1.6cu mtr of loose logs , how much air is in a load of  8",9",10" or 12" long logs?

For the 12" logs (33cm logs):

For air volume 1.6m loose is 40% solid wood 60% air

1.6 X 0.6

= 0.96 m3 of air

😊 Think thats right % calcs confuse me      

image.png.59dcf4121cf5763a9c22b1c66da4a617.png

Edited by Stere
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 19/10/2021 at 22:44, cessna said:

Unless your loose (or tightly stacked) logs are all certified under 20% moisture, you can't use your pickup truck anyway as you need to be selling in a volume greater than 2m cubed........

Lights blue touchpaper and stands well back.........