Chipper freedom day announced

Justme

8 hours ago, IronMike said:

As someone who had to pay to acquire my trailer license, via training and coaching on some very worthwhile topics I must add, I can see this from both sides. One of the biggest concerns I have is that now the terrible drivers I witness on a daily basis who somehow have a license to drive a car alone, are completely free to tow things and make themselves into an even bigger risk. The amount of idiots out there who don’t even understand what the letter on their gearstick is for, let alone how to use it is staggering. And now they can legally be even more of a hazard to everyone else.

I feel that having to pay to get your towing license was indeed annoying and often unnecessary, but it did act as a kind of filter to stop the masses doing so. Now it’s going to be a free for all. On the flip side, some really decent lads who cut for me are now going to be able to help me out massively by being able to tow as well. Now this won’t be something I’ll allow lightly, they’ll need to know and show they are capable. But often for the self employed, in forestry and Arb at least, the time and cost it took to get the towing license was too great. There are plus and minus point so both arguments, as always. 

AllI can say is good luck to everyone!

Totally agree. As I have said many time arb clients were generally the best. 

11 hours ago, Peasgood said:

Yes, the amount of people that can't reverse a car 5 yards in a straight line without jacknifing up the wall/hedge never ceases to baffle me. (my missus is one of them)

Forget trailers , the amount of people that can't reverse a car equally spaced between 2 strait lines in  a car park is beyond belief  . Thy start on the piss , ease back , rotating the steering wheel  this way and that and end up exactly on piss when they started .  15 degrees out of true , 1or 2 wheels over the other parking bay . They do it all again and end up in the same position , get out , lock up and walk away ....

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Forget trailers , the amount of people that can't reverse a car equally spaced between 2 strait lines in  a car park is beyond belief  . Thy start on the piss , ease back , rotating the steering wheel  this way and that and end up exactly on piss when they started .  15 degrees out of true , 1or 2 wheels over the other parking bay . They do it all again and end up in the same position , get out , lock up and walk away ....

Was working in a car park at a horticultural nursery last week and this morning, well it was unbelievable what I saw, nearly had someone block one of are trucks in they just sat there for a while considering if to leave it there then thought no. 

• Like 1

Why did I think it was 20th September or something like that? 

Bugger, better tell my lad no towing till then..... 

In fairness I paid for mine after years of driving without the license.... thought bugger it put it against tax!

Never been pulled lol 😆 

Wish they'd do something about 7.5t license so I could have a bloody wagon!

23 hours ago, topchippyles said:

My daughter is doing her driving test early next year does this mean he will be able to tow if she passes her test. She is 17 

'kinell Les, is that an incredibly woke use of the possessive pronoun in relation to a gender fluid yoof of today which would conflict with the more robust persona I may have attributed to you?

Or is it just a typo? 😳🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, Dbikeguy said:

Levels the playing field to those who passed their tests before the rest of us. What difference was there between someone who passed pre 97 and post other than modern tests are harder
Silly stealth tax
Plenty of info out there on how to load a trailer and safely tow, plus anyone driving for their company can ask for some info and pointers, if towing a chipper you can’t load it wrong so there’s one big thing off the table anyway.

I'd never simply accept or suggest that 'experience' is always good experience - it could just as easily be bad, but in answer to the question what's the difference, I would perhaps present 'maturity' as a differentiating factor between an old coffin dodger and a young spunker.  I'd offer the long standing vehicle insurance rates (18yo in comparison to 38yo) as justification and validation of my point....

• Like 3