Chipper freedom day announced

Justme

Just now, Justme said:

True but you still need to keep an eye out for the police / DVSA

Quite right, but then I’d only get done for being over weight and not for towing without a licence as well. 

I don’t tow over weight though, so it’s not really an issue. I’d prefer to do two runs and I rarely pick up logs that are over 30 minutes from my house. 

Now I’ll be able to hire Plant which is handy, as is being insured to tow. 

5 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Quite right, but then I’d only get done for being over weight and not for towing without a licence as well. 

I don’t tow over weight though, so it’s not really an issue. I’d prefer to do two runs and I rarely pick up logs that are over 30 minutes from my house. 

Now I’ll be able to hire Plant which is handy, as is being insured to tow. 

Dont count on it.

I saw that one hire company that are insisting on you having held a licence for 4 years & have proof of you completing a training course before they will hire you a trailer.

Insurance underwriters are also looking at if they need to alter premiums or impose limits / controls. They are especially pissed because the consultation did not allow them to have their say on the changes. as it was pushed through under special powers.

Time will tell. I dont think anyone has all the answers currently.

As someone who had to pay to acquire my trailer license, via training and coaching on some very worthwhile topics I must add, I can see this from both sides. One of the biggest concerns I have is that now the terrible drivers I witness on a daily basis who somehow have a license to drive a car alone, are completely free to tow things and make themselves into an even bigger risk. The amount of idiots out there who don’t even understand what the letter on their gearstick is for, let alone how to use it is staggering. And now they can legally be even more of a hazard to everyone else.

I feel that having to pay to get your towing license was indeed annoying and often unnecessary, but it did act as a kind of filter to stop the masses doing so. Now it’s going to be a free for all. On the flip side, some really decent lads who cut for me are now going to be able to help me out massively by being able to tow as well. Now this won’t be something I’ll allow lightly, they’ll need to know and show they are capable. But often for the self employed, in forestry and Arb at least, the time and cost it took to get the towing license was too great. There are plus and minus point so both arguments, as always. 

AllI can say is good luck to everyone!

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Justme said:

How did I lobby for a change that happened in 97 in an industry I had nothing to do with at that time?

Shall we get rid of all training?

Saws planes trains Dr's ect ect.

Training is much cheaper than dealing with the aftermath.

Would you hire someone with no chainsaw tickets but had been cutting for years?

Companies are obligated to train all staff in the use of all equipment at work.

They can self train if they so wish for lots of things.

PS this thread was just to let you all know when it would be legal for your younger staff to tow.

Don't be obtuse. You said in a previous thread that you lobbied the government to keep the recently dropped licensing requirement.

Shall we get rid of all training? Not for me to say. Get rid of all government and whatever is worth having will still happen. Whatever isn't worth having, won't.

And yeah, I put my money where my mouth is.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, IronMike said:

As someone who had to pay to acquire my trailer license, via training and coaching on some very worthwhile topics I must add, I can see this from both sides. One of the biggest concerns I have is that now the terrible drivers I witness on a daily basis who somehow have a license to drive a car alone, are completely free to tow things and make themselves into an even bigger risk. The amount of idiots out there who don’t even understand what the letter on their gearstick is for, let alone how to use it is staggering. And now they can legally be even more of a hazard to everyone else.

I feel that having to pay to get your towing license was indeed annoying and often unnecessary, but it did act as a kind of filter to stop the masses doing so. Now it’s going to be a free for all. On the flip side, some really decent lads who cut for me are now going to be able to help me out massively by being able to tow as well. Now this won’t be something I’ll allow lightly, they’ll need to know and show they are capable. But often for the self employed, in forestry and Arb at least, the time and cost it took to get the towing license was too great. There are plus and minus point so both arguments, as always. 

AllI can say is good luck to everyone!

Completely agree with you IronMike.  I can see the arguments on both sides.  What I don't understand is the need for people to be so obnoxious when commenting - there's just no need for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Watching people try to reverse is equal parts amusing and alarming. I often have to reverse my Shogun with logbullet on triple axle trailer on the back, as its quicker and easier than Johnny Ballbag trying to reverse there f#%king Nissan Juke 12ft backwards to a wide spot. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3