Hi
i have been using a MS441 on a 4 ft bar for milling
but have now got a 7ft bar 
and bought a G888
a clone of the MS880

it looks sounds ok 
though the casing is sharp 
sliced my hand o it starting it so sandpapered it smooth>

cant really run it through any timber as the 7ft bar is mental without a mill.

before slabbing should i just let it idle through a tank of fuel? 

also theres talk of bearing changes on the ms661 clone they do,
anyone thinks its worth preempting trouble here?

its a cheap saw, 475pounds and somehow came through customs unscathed in two weeks from china.
almost a third of the price of a ms881

thanks 
sean  

Saw.jpg

• Like 3

I'd be keen for any new saw to have a few tanks of fuel through it before milling,  to get it bedded in and find any new saw niggles. Plus you get to know a bit about the saws behaviour, set the fueling etc.

Idling the saw isn't what you want to do, especially for a whole tank, that won't do it any good at all.

I can see your predicament with that bar though. If you've no choice but to mill from the off what about milling something small (say 18 inches with that saw), start with 10 seconds cutting 5 idling, repeat.

Increase the duty cycle after a minute or two and progress like that through a tank or 2 of fuel. That's only going to be minutes of running. Run it a little rich for first couple of tanks too which will keep temps down, lubricate bottom end well.

I can see issues with enough suitable wood and balancing the mill on 'small' wood with that plan but it might give you some ideas,  

• Like 1

was going to run the 7ft bar with the 888.
take the vertical bars off the 4ft rig and screw them onto 4 8ft 2 by 4s on a plywood bed.
see no need to buy extension bars>
have included a photo of the 4ft bar on wood jig.
i think it works better than the bars. 
its a wider base for a start.

with the 4ft  low pro bar, its slots too narrow for the 888 think its 12mm and the 888 is 14mm 
i could machine the slot to fit the 888
as im unlikely to run the 4ft bar with the 441 now i have the 888

rig.jpg

You can get adapters to go from 14 to 12mm bar mounts, so if you were to machine it out the slot you could go backwards at a later date - see chainsawbars.co.uk https://www.chainsawbars.co.uk/product-category/bar-adapters/

BUT LoPro bar and chain on the g888...😨

Easier 'n safer to get another bar chain that's suited to the g888, that 7ft bar must have cost a penny or two - 2 ft bar would small fry in comparison.

• Like 3