Hydraulic pressure question

josharb87

Hi

Im thinking about running a logsplitter off the auxiliary hydraulic outputs on my Logbullet forwarder. The Logbullet has a "working hydraulic" of 160 bar/25L/min

Is this man/quick enough realistically?

A splitter has come up which creates 10ton force at 210 bar.

160 being roughly 40% less than 210, does that mean i get 40% less capacity - i.e 6 tons instead of 10?

8 minutes ago, josharb87 said:

Hi

Im thinking about running a logsplitter off the auxiliary hydraulic outputs on my Logbullet forwarder. The Logbullet has a "working hydraulic" of 160 bar/25L/min

Is this man/quick enough realistically?

A splitter has come up which creates 10ton force at 210 bar.

160 being roughly 40% less than 210, does that mean i get 40% less capacity - i.e 6 tons instead of 10?

I did think about doing the same when I had one too. 

I don't imagine that 6t will be an issue for splitting Swedish timber. It's so straight and knot-free that you sneezing at it would probably split it. 

• Like 1

I think so Josh, putting a smaller diameter ram on it will help you get more out of the input machine.Here you can calculate the size ram you would need to get 10 tons at 100% efficiencey.

WWW.SENSORSONE.COM

This tool will calculate the force generated by a pressure acting over a specified surface area and show a...

I have a 10 ton splitter, behind the mog its ok at best.Plugged into the Valtra its Ace.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Big J said:

I did think about doing the same when I had one too. 

I don't imagine that 6t will be an issue for splitting Swedish timber. It's so straight and knot-free that you sneezing at it would probably split it. 

6t would be okay for splitting much of the 30cm diameter straight birch, pine etc however in the area between Skåne in the south and Stockholm there are some massive hardwoods in towns, church yards and around manor houses as big as you will find in the UK for which depending on length of log spitting you will need more than 6t very often.  In my experience 9-12t spitters will deal with logs of <50cm dia cut into 25-50cm lengths and most 1m in length of same dia, logs more than >50-60cm dia become difficult to man handle and bigger equipment is required generally to deal with this size (to move it and split it). I have a 22t spitter but our smaller spitters can deals with most stuff.

• Like 2

My splitter is only 6t, it splits 95% of what I throw at it. It won't smash up huge knots or real knarly euc but I just throw that away and split something easier. Ordinary reasonable straight grain woods like birch, ash, oak, pine it's just fine.

If you get a bigger ram the force can be higher from a certain pump, but the movement will be correspondingly slower as there's more cylinder to fill.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

My splitter is only 6t, it splits 95% of what I throw at it. It won't smash up huge knots or real knarly euc but I just throw that away and split something easier. Ordinary reasonable straight grain woods like birch, ash, oak, pine it's just fine.

If you get a bigger ram the force can be higher from a certain pump, but the movement will be correspondingly slower as there's more cylinder to fill.

Yes  but there is a way around it by using it that 95% of the time at full speed and  then dropping the speed but increasing the pressure  to 10 tonne by adding an intensifier.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, porky said:

Is that what is called "a two staged pump"?

No I don't think so, I guess you mean a tandem pump where at low pressures both pumps output but as the pressure (an hence required power) increases one pump's output is diverted to tank and all the horsepower is then used to drive the active pump.

I imagine the logbullet has more sophisticated variable output pump which will optimise the use of the little engine's output.

An intensifier is simply an extra ram and possibly some automagic valves.  All the time the ram is managing to split with 6 tonnes force the output at 160 bar manages but when there is more resistance and 10 tonnes is needed to keep the ram moving the 160 bar pressure is fed to the extra ram which has nothing connected to it. The output from the piston side of the ram is now fed to the  splitter ram. If the ratio of area on the piston side  to the area on the rod side is sized to be 210:160 then the pressure multiplication is sufficient to get the splitter moving again.

• Like 4