National Trust Donation (Tree Planting)

Chipperclown

Planting fruit trees.... yup all well and good, I put in about 10 apples and pears to replace the pines we took down in the wood, all nice until I went back to check, leaves all eaten and the deer culprit still sitting under one munching away - not just humans appreciate them. Put in ones grown from seed since then, no idea what they will be like though, still a couple of years till they fruit. This winter I am planning to transplant a few self seeded trees guerrilla style, see how that goes.

As for memorials, living next door to the cemetery loads of memorial trees in there, and in the parks so I guess the local council isn't against them, probably ticks a few boxes for them. Up the hill from here is a memorial wood, open to all (though there is a sign saying 'private wood, but you are welcome to walk here'), not suggesting you go that far but... and to add to the idea of the woodland trust, other organisations have land too - RSPB reserves and local ones too. I guess it all depends where those you want to remember would be fondest of. As for NT, might be worth chatting to a local volunteer, see when they are planting trees and see if you can volunteer for that, plant one they.. though like they say, might not get a plaque.

The problem is the price of fruit trees, and I can understand why, since most are grafted. It's quite a gamble to take when they could get flailed the next year!

Yeah true.

Tried to propagate wild bullace from stones but mice got them

Assume they could be propagated as easy as blackthorn whips by a nusery but they sell for £25 each

• 3 weeks later...

@Chipperclown - your best bet would be to talk to the Rangers at the property where you would like them, they should know their sites and planting ambitions whether individual and up to landscape scale.

This does vary from property to property as Rangers can be focused on anything from site presentation to monitoring to full-scale forestry as it's a generic job title.

Memorials should be kept logged in a local book and through talking with the person that will be doing the work, you will know where they are.

I've done memorial plantings from 1 - 1,000 trees.

As for fruit trees, I've been discarding my apple cores for years in the hope of not having to bring apples in for my lunch 😂

Edited by timberonabike
  • Thanks 1