National Trust Donation (Tree Planting)

Chipperclown

18 minutes ago, Stere said:

Often thought would be nice to guerilla plant fruit trees on bits of "waste" often brambly/scrub  ground along side footpaths laybys etc

It seems strange to see apples and pears falling to rot in people's gardens when they are such good food. I juiced mine this year to make better use of them.

Also so disappointing to see all the cob hazelnuts taken by squirrel because they too make a long lasting food.

So yes I would like to see more wild food planting.

For my part I guerilla formative prune self sown oaks as I am about walking. Having made most of my income from selling timber it breaks my heart to see so much new growth being of such bad form it will never make decent sawlogs.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, openspaceman said:

It seems strange to see apples and pears falling to rot in people's gardens when they are such good food. I juiced mine this year to make better use of them.

Also so disappointing to see all the cob hazelnuts taken by squirrel because they too make a long lasting food.

So yes I would like to see more wild food planting.

For my part I guerilla formative prune self sown oaks as I am about walking. Having made most of my income from selling timber it breaks my heart to see so much new growth being of such bad form it will never make decent sawlogs.

I spent out (a silly amount) on a culinary dehumidifier this year to avoid waste of excess apple / pear / fig / chilli etc.

Made no 'economic' sense since you could buy a bag of dried apple rings for pence really, but it was never about the financial sense but rather just trying a new way to preserve excess fruit crop.

Little 'un loves 'em so was worth it in my warped financial justification.

Got some beauties on the Cox's Orange Pippin - biggest I've ever seen!  Bit nervous about how long to leave them on the tree.  Probably pick today before they fall.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Chipperclown said:

Hi All,

I wish to donate to the National Trust in order to plant a number of trees in memory of someone. Has anyone done this for any reason? I am asking this question as I would like to know the location of these planted trees for the people concerned so they can visit this location if they feel they wish to at whatever point in the future for obvious reasons. Currently the NT via email can not tell me the planned location which is slightly frustrating.

Could ask local council if you could plant a few around a playground or perhaps a Churchyard or another public space

What about making a bench with a plaque on it alongside a footpath in an appropriate place?  
All these ideas are easier in a country village than a town.  You might even have a word with a local farmer.  If you are paying it might even be “Get on my Land!”

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stere said:

Often thought would be nice to guerilla plant fruit trees on bits of "waste" often brambly/scrub  ground along side footpaths laybys etc

I planted a fruiting cherry on land like that . Went a back a day later  to water it and some scrote had dug it up and stole it .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Stubby said:

I planted a fruiting cherry on land like that . Went a back a day later  to water it and some scrote had dug it up and stole it .

Wankers,i planted 60 mtrs of hedging a few years ago on a roadside and some arsehole pulled that up the first night aswell

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Obviously from my user name I'd say do you have a local canal ? 

Restoration groups are very aware of the need to plant trees to offset the self seeded ones that get removed during clearing works.

Planting on the non-towpath side is good as they can be seen and visited but remain out of reach of casual vandalism 🙂

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Stere said:

The problem is the price of fruit trees, and I can understand why, since most are grafted. It's quite a gamble to take when they could get flailed the next year!

I have done some moonlit tree planting, but so far only self seeded stuff that isn't costing me anything.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

I spent out (a silly amount) on a culinary dehumidifier this year to avoid waste of excess apple / pear / fig / chilli etc.

Made no 'economic' sense since you could buy a bag of dried apple rings for pence really, but it was never about the financial sense but rather just trying a new way to preserve excess fruit crop.

Little 'un loves 'em so was worth it in my warped financial justification.

Got some beauties on the Cox's Orange Pippin - biggest I've ever seen!  Bit nervous about how long to leave them on the tree.  Probably pick today before they fall.

Don't know how well it would work in autumn in the north of Scotland, but I've seen pictures and plans of homemade solar food dehumidifiers - another thing on the to do list! :flybye: