4 wheel drive vans

tim361

On 18/10/2021 at 07:39, marne said:

Agree as well and in addition since having a van and a 4x4, I experience a vehicle breakdown to be a seriously relaxed situation in my bizz. That even calms when both are  running fine, as your always prepared to continue your work. Like an insurance, you pay for a peaceful mind. 

I've run at least 2 vehicles for the last 3 or 4 years, now I have 3. All of them are 4wd but with very different bodies (130 tipper, discovery 2, double cab ranger), all can tow 3.5 ton, all can carry tools or materials, and yes its expensive/a lot of maintenance,  but it does make life easier. Especially if I want to do multiple runs with different trailers on the same day.

Theres no one vehicle that can do it all, its simply not possible. 

Thanks Blake and RAC Man, but as usual the tyres aren’t available in 185 75 R16.

Transits have twin rears, so they are pretty skinny.

I really feel the manufacturers are missing a trick here.

A Transit will never be a 4x4, but extra traction in some situations would always be appreciated.

As someone said earlier in the thread, having the correct rubber is probably the cheapest way to upgrade your vehicle.

8 hours ago, daveatdave said:

in the uk i thought you had to run all season tyres  or is it all weather i know something changed not to long back   

I know in Scandinavian countrys you have to run , by law , winter tiers between certain months of the year . Big J will know the exact times . 

Edited by Stubby

I’ve ran an ex water board Transit AWD for some 4 years now, (wanting to replace it with the MAN, but nothing about) and it’s been a real handy bit of kit.

Just given it a 50mm lift and put some 225/75x16 BFG’s on with a high load rating.

Brilliant tyres, and will certainly last a lot longer than the pretty expensive all season options I’ve been using.

There are a few of these about in tipper version, single rear wheel and worth a punt with similar tyres if it suits what you do.

I ran Defenders for years with great success, but travel a lot now and the Transit holds so much more kit.

Eddie.

7C0F114F-12FA-4B65-A0F0-2D4F35011D2E.jpeg

3A6BD4AD-7113-4BE9-B7FF-B472B88A7FB5.jpeg

Edited by LGP Eddie
  • Like 6