Tracked Chipper Comparison.

paddyvero

1 hour ago, Mick Dempsey said:

No, it’s been knocking out 35hp since the late 90s, the turbos produce 45.

That’s interesting. My Multione has that engine, and it’s underpowered on heavy work or hills. 

Dows anyone know if turning up the pump revs is all I’d need to do, or would the piston hydraulic pump need adjustment too? 

But you cant just throw a ton more hp into a machine. Its been manufactured to a spec, stick more power in it and itll quickly damage itself. No different to a car, more hp, stronger drivetrain needed, so either heavier, or more expensive. 35hp is plenty for a 6inch machine, but in my opinion 25 is not enough.

Timberwolf are not offering the 35horse diesel in the 230 anymore, I believe due to emmisions, so you take your choice based on whats available. I ended up going 230, because I think the 280 is too wide for the type of work I anticipate. Otherwise I would have gone with an 8inch.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, doobin said:

That’s interesting. My Multione has that engine, and it’s underpowered on heavy work or hills. 

Dows anyone know if turning up the pump revs is all I’d need to do, or would the piston hydraulic pump need adjustment too? 

You're not turning up the revs, just the limit on how much diesel it can pump in on each injection. Same revs, more torque so more power.

• Like 2

But you cant just throw a ton more hp into a machine. Its been manufactured to a spec, stick more power in it and itll quickly damage itself. No different to a car, more hp, stronger drivetrain needed, so either heavier, or more expensive. 35hp is plenty for a 6inch machine, but in my opinion 25 is not enough.
Timberwolf are not offering the 35horse diesel in the 230 anymore, I believe due to emmisions, so you take your choice based on whats available. I ended up going 230, because I think the 280 is too wide for the type of work I anticipate. Otherwise I would have gone with an 8inch.

That's my issue with the 280 also. I'll keep my old 230 going. You will enjoy your 230P, they are a great 6" chipper. [emoji1362][emoji1362]

15 hours ago, paddyvero said:

Its a bit different with a chipper. You are spinning a heavy disc at a pretty low speed and all of the violence is pretty much taken up by the belts. Most chippers have pretty heavy bearings for the application GM & Timberwolf being glaring exceptions.

A bigger donk/ more HP means the disc takes longer to slow down because there is more torque behind it. Autofeed kicks in less equalling more production.

I wouldnt want to increase HP on a Timberwolf to much. But other more solid chippers I have done and it makes the world of difference.My Jensen 530 I altered the fuel rack to open further and its a weapon considering its age and hours.