What/ why is this beam in fireplace opening?

Good Morning all, 

Hoping you can assist again with identifying a beam that is currently sitting within the opening of the fireplace.

At first I thought it was a lintel but this beam is running the depth of the fireplace and not width

It is about mantle height but unable to gain a clear sight as it is behind a steel/cast flue pipe which attaches to the stove pipe.

The current installation is  a shoddy job (as you guys pointed out) and we are planning to rip all out and install a new woodstove.

As part of this we will be fitting a chimney liner so it will fall quite close to said beam.

thumbnail_image0.png

thumbnail_image1.png

Edited by Cottage1993

We have four rods (rather than beams) in our chimney that I assumed were to strengthen the opening as it were. Yours may be different if course. You should be able to make the ends out either side of the arch and then a third and two thirds across the top. 

097D45A8-F6DB-47FF-8ACB-271F1EF78FE5.jpeg

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Scotty38 said:

We have four rods (rather than beams) in our chimney that I assumed were to strengthen the opening as it were. Yours may be different if course. You should be able to make the ends out either side of the arch and then a third and two thirds across the top. 

097D45A8-F6DB-47FF-8ACB-271F1EF78FE5.jpeg

Am I the only one who has no idea what this means?