Neighbours trees

Herberus

Question

I'd be grateful for some advice: I recently bought a lovely town centre bungalow which I am modernising and extending. It has a south west facing garden which gets no sun because of the trees in a neighbouring garden. There are eight copper beech trees and two Monterey Cyprus within three / four feet of the boundary wall which itself is three / four feet from the side wall of my house.

The Monterey Cyprus is one of three which were planted so close together that they've grown through each other and have reached approximately 70 feet tall and the beeches are approximately 30 feet tall. The trunks of the beech trees are between 30 and 50 cms round.

I attach photos.

I am wondering how likely it is that the roots may cause damage to my property. the proximity of the beeches to the existing property in particular is concerning, but equally, with a crown which is eight metres wide, the root ball of the Cyprus must be significant.

I hope someone can advise. I know that the only certain way to prevent root damage is to fell the trees. The overall plot on which my property sits is only 12 metres wide by 20 metres deep (and my neighbour's plot is smaller ... the trees are within nine feet of her own property) so I wonder what are good replacement trees to consider. I was thinking fruit trees if well maintained and acers. The land is coastal (north west) so the soil is most likely sandy with a little clay.    

IMG_4123.jpeg

IMG_4124.jpeg

IMG_4113.jpeg

IMG_4116.jpeg

You brought a house with mature trees close by in someone else’s property and now your complaining about the trees that were clearly visible when you viewed the property?

I can hear it from here “I love trees but………..” 🙄

I’m quite aware I’m no help on the subject but, is this for real?

I wouldn’t of brought the property if the trees were a problem. To be fair I can see they are likely to be a problem to most people.

Edited by Will C
  • Like 6