Broken bolt removal...

Ty Korrigan

Gonna give it a wang myself though a Facom removal set is €150.

I've watched the Youtube tutorials and think I'll stay away from the budget tool sets.

My crew is running a sweep stakes on whether I get the bolts out...

I paid a local engineering firm to remove other broken loader arm bolts a year ago and replace with hardened ones.

Bizzarely, they didn't do these which popped last week.

The peacock is in love with my Solis, I presume because of the colour.

Stuart

IMG_20211010_140944.jpg

IMG_20211010_140917.jpg

IMG_20211010_140908.jpg

IMG_20211010_141029.jpg

• Like 2

I am used to much smaller screws so use "Easy outs" and have learnt to use the best quality drills starting with a small pilot hole to get bob on centre otherwise the hole can go all over the shop - it also gives the benefit of allowing you to tap the hole out if the bolt wont shift.

If you use easy outs - don't snap it in the hole - they are hardened and won't drill out.

If you can weld, may be a better idea!

• Like 2

They dont look that deep so.

Get a pilot for your drill you could use a pilot that you use to center holes through door handles since those bolts are not that deep in there.If its a bit too small take up the difference wrapping the pilot with insulation tape

Buy a couple of left hand drills, saw 3 and 4mm.

Buy a can of loctight freeze and release and a can of cutting fluid.

Buy a good center punch.

Get set up. Start drilling without the freeze and release, this will mark the center of the bolt. Then give it a good strong smack with the center punch on the dot made by the drill.

Use the freeze and release on the bolt you are working on. It really dose work. Then give it a shot of cutting compound,as you start drilling when you get about 5mm down switch to "hammer" this might release the bolt and since you are drilling in reverse the bolt will spin out.

If not, bring the hole up to 4mm. Set in your easyout and use the freeze and release again.

The trick with this job will be to know if/when you should stop and try another method. 

Good luck.

• Like 6