DIY log-splitter using hydraulic car jack

Medit

Hi there arbers,

I want to make a DIY log-splitter in Cyprus. I mention the location because it's scarce on new and used materials, but excellent for the metal frame construction, welding etc.

I have seen how a hydraulic car jack (particularly the "bottle" type) can be utilised for my purposes. And theoretically it looks great. However, after looking to buy one of these jacks, it seems the market is flooded with very flimsy and unreliable products. I am judging from the reviews in, say, amazon (no personal experience). For example there are several 5Tone or 10T bottle jacks for around 50 GBP but most negative comments mention broken seals and oil leaks from first few times of use! Even european brands. I am glad I am not working in a tyre-service shop risking my life under a 30T track with these. And the bad thing is that the surrounding metal enclosure looks sturdy and must cost a fortune to ship based with that weight. I could not find a jack in amazon which I would be happy with. The price is great, but way too much negative comments.

Anyway, I am looking for advice on what bottle car jack brand can reliably give me a push. Perhaps you may have heavy machinery and use these jacks to lift them. Or you similarly embarked on such a DIY project and can share experience.

I would buy a "proper" log splitter but the price is huge for something equally flimsy and are bad if I order from abroad and have them shippped.

Regarding the frame, welding etc. I can do that myself easily. It's the hydraulic power I need.

Thank you for looking,

A.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob_the_Sparky said:

I would have thought that it would be terribly slow, having used a few car jacks for cars.  Are you not better off with an axe or as above build an electric one?  I use an axe for most of mine plus a wedge and sledge or just the saw for the horid bits.

I wonder how the efficiency compares, my guess is you lose 30% of your effort straight away in the pumping losses.

On my engine lifting crane I have a hydraulic ram which has airline connection. So can use air from my compressor to raise the ram....just a thought...

VEVOR.CO.UK

20 Ton Hydraulic Bottle Jack The car jack hydraulic 20 Ton Air and Hydraulic Jack, which can easily handle lift jobs up to 20 tons. Ideal for automotive, heavy duty truck repair, moving...

Edited by chopperpete

26 minutes ago, chopperpete said:

On my engine lifting crane I have a hydraulic ram which has airline connection. So can use air from my compressor to raise the ram....just a thought...

VEVOR.CO.UK

20 Ton Hydraulic Bottle Jack The car jack hydraulic 20 Ton Air and Hydraulic Jack, which can easily handle lift jobs up to 20 tons. Ideal for automotive, heavy duty truck repair, moving...

Yes, that's the quality I am looking for! Unfortunately most lifting items are "sold out". To clarify: I don't mind doing that "jacking" once a year for a few logs. But the air-compressor can be a sweet plus. I will ask them for international shipping. Axe broke my back last time!

If an axe isn't for you then definitely get a splitter of some kind.  But bet aware, it's often the lifting of logs or bending over that is the back breaking part not necessarily the axe swinging. Different techniques like splitting on the ground or using a tyre to keep splits in place, and use of a hookaroon or pickaroon can help.  Also technique and experience and the right axe for the job help immeasurably!

20 minutes ago, neiln said:

If an axe isn't for you then definitely get a splitter of some kind.  But bet aware, it's often the lifting of logs or bending over that is the back breaking part not necessarily the axe swinging. Different techniques like splitting on the ground or using a tyre to keep splits in place, and use of a hookaroon or pickaroon can help.  Also technique and experience and the right axe for the job help immeasurably!

Thanks for the tips, got it. I am a complete city person but now turned rural!

I had a hand pump splitter

worked but very slow

as above

get your splitting area sorted

‘table’ with high edges surrounding a knee high chopping block

logs 🪵 don’t end up on ground

possible use log tongs to pick any that bounce off 

cut and split logs when green

i like my fiskars axe 

others have their favourite make

join up with your neighbours and share cost of an electric or petrol splitter 

If you enjoy logging buy one yourself and spend a few weekends splitting for your neighbours to recoup cost